McNeil/Macdonald of Barra, Jura under Macdonald of Glencoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: McNeil/Macdonald of Barra, Jura under Macdonald of Glencoe

Lu, it would depend from which part of Scotland, as each area has it's own dialect.

I am sure that on electircscotland, Alastair has the Doric (north east area) spoken, and I have great difficulty in understanding the spoken word.

Here is a link, to a VERY long but worth while read about Doric, here on es

http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/doric.htm

Ranald
    Last edited by Ranald; 22 April 2011, 16:59. Reason: added a link

Comment

Re: Relationship between MacNeils of Barra, Buies of Jura, MacDonalds and MacLeods

To see recent DNA research into the relationship between the MacNeils of Barra, the Buies of Jura, some MacDonalds and the Clan MacLeod visit the R-L165 Project at Family Tree DNA.
      http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...ction=yresults

Comment

Re: Relationship between MacNeils of Barra, Buies of Jura, MacDonalds and MacLeods

Hello Alasdair MacD!

Welcome to Electric Scotland! I have just seen this posting. You are doing a terrific job with the Family Tree DNA projects! Thanks so very much for doing this for all of us who know absolutely nothing about DNA!
        kellyd:redrose:

Comment

This is an update..

The male DNA matches two perfectly. They are the original McNeill, Stewart who settled in Canada. Now finding records where and why there is a complete different Surname from either one of these. The DNA does still match the Darnley Stuarts and Appin Stewarts. Oh, this is a nightmare.

Comment

I have recently recieved changes from FTNDA...Our DNA has been changed to L165...which shows the Viking signature. Our Haplogroup has changed also..And the Black Subgroup has been changed to Olive Subgroup. I will know the exact near September 24 when the lab completes the SNP reading..

Comment

December will be two years since my late uncle performed the DNA test for my mother. We have made a few astounding leaps. We have the rare Viking marker which used to be associated with the Macleod and all the Stewart markers. We will do the deep clade test after the first of the year to find out if we are Lord of the Isles or royal bastards. I will stick to the lines I have been able to prove on paper.. Leaving the DNA to my mother..

Comment

One can tell by the posting above, I became very frustrated with my mother's paternal DNA match. Since then, I have discovered a person who was extremely interested in our results. The journalist in me would not let old dogs lay. I have since found out, my grandfather's DNA maybe possibly from the 2nd MacDonald of Glencoe who escaped the massacre. I have actually met another gentleman here in Edinburgh who has the very same markers as my grandfather. He is also a MacDonald.

Now, Mam and I are trying to find the name change from MacDonald/MacIan to McMillion. (the DNA does not match other MacMillions) This might be a mystery we are never to figure out.

Comment

MacIans of Glencoe were in Argyle also known as the Clan Ian Abrach, descended from John Og son of Angus Og . Chief of clan Donald in the 14th century. In the mid 14th century, the chiefly line of Morrison from the MacCleod family, the heriess married MacIan MacDonald of Ardnamurchan. The heriess persuaded Macdonald to change his name to Morrison and became one of the brieves of Lewis...The family had a falling out with the kinsmen, the Siol Torquil in 1600, which led to the MacKenzie take over of the Isle of Lewis...

In reading this book, most all of the ancestors were of Norman background and they traveled to Ireland to take their Pictish queens....then they traversed to Scotland......The Normans came to Ireland from the Welsh Borders in the wake of the Anglo Norman invasion of 1169. I believe this may account for my paternal name being Williams but yet we are of German-Scottish and Norse and Pictish..extraction ...

Author:
                  Thomas Cairney
                  Clans and families of Ireland and Scotland
                  AD 500-1750
                  Last edited by LuRose Williams; 25 November 2012, 11:46. Reason: spelling

Comment

Mama,

Thanks for sharing the above info. This is the standard knowledge of how the Clan MacIan came from. The spelling of McMillan really doesn't matter because we know it isn't McMillan unless there was a female influence in the Surname. I believe the name change is from this John the shepherd. It is really too much of a coincidence. Sorta like you have your theory of Bishop Michael Ochiltree and I have my theory about Sir James of Previck and Killieth. The only way it will ever be disproved for either one of us is to find documentation other wise.... :) xxx

Comment

Working...
                    X