Category 2 cylclone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Category 2 cylclone

NSW is just recovering from a category 2 cyclone. Unbelievable! I've never seen anything like it after 44 years in this country. NSW is a temperate zone and cyclones are very rare in them, being much more common in tropical zones.

We were without power and phone (even mobile) for 2.5 days and, of course, didn't know what was going on in the rest of the world. John was saying we should buy a transistor radio. The only news we could hear was to start the car and listen to the radio. Just goes to show how dependent we have become on technology.

We were lucky because we are fairly high up in the local topography but some areas of NSW were flooded. One elderly lady drowned when her car was swept away and all for the sake of running out of milk.

There are trees down everywhere. The Premier declared a natural disaster.

Elda

Re: Category 2 cylclone

Glad you are ok Elda. That would be equivalent to having a hurricane in Canada.

Cheers

Hugh

Comment

Instead of battery powered radio you should maybe try for a 'wind-up' one... I am not joking~~
      Sandy

Comment

Glad you got through it ok Elda. It's not fun when you lose communication with the outside world.

Alastair

Comment

As Sandy says, these wind-up radios are a great investment for your survival kit - I bought the one I have through a mail order company about 10 years ago for about $39 and it's still going strong. It runs on 2 AA batteries and also has a solar panel so you can charge it by leaving it in the sun for a few hours. If all else fails it also contains a dynamo which you can charge by winding a handle for 3 minutes which gives you several hours playing time. Also handy during power outages; here is a website with some details:

http://crank-radio-review.toptenreviews.com/

- John.

Comment

John,
            my son will be visiting your part of the world for 6 weeks in Nov and Dec. Maybe I should advise him to buy one for the trip!!@~~~

Sandy

Comment

Thanks John. I've saved the web site to favourites and will have a look at it later.

Elda

Comment

Working...
              X