Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bitter Taste of Reality

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bitter Taste of Reality

because I am "divorced" that the Catholic community is not welcoming
    Freida,

I met two people from Ayr Scotland, who are from the Catholic background. They are both actually what Americans would call Scots Irish because they are born in Ayr but their parents are Irish. They explained to me the division in Scotland even to this day. A Celtic fan means you are Catholic and Ranger fan you are Protestant. This is how the country actually divides it people.

I told them, I don't have to worry because I am not a 'footie' fan per say so I do not have to say what my religion is in public.

I did notice a huge difference between East and West cultures in the Upper and Middle Low Lands of Scotland!
    kellyd

2. Thanks FriedaKateM thanked for this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Kelly the "country" does not divide its people...
    it is also a generalisation to use football support as a defining standard. I know people who support both teams and they do not all follow that "rule'
    BTW if you study the history of many of the English teams you will see similar origins...
    The Catholic / Protestant divide is mostly a West of Scotland situation - historically where most of the people of irish background live. Not all Scots irish are of Catholic background. One of my sets of GGParents came from Ireland and they were Protestant. (Part of the Scots Diaspora in the 1600's and later).

I have friends from many faith backgrounds and in my experience this is true of most people. Bigots will always exist but they are usually in the minority and should be recognised for what they are. Don't judge a country and its people by a few disgruntled ones.
    If you go to Scotland and open discussions like these expect to be treated as a "visiting Yank"...

Sandy

4. Like miolchu liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Sandy,

I didn't open this conversation, the person asked me. I told them I am not a footie fan and it led to the discussion above. I don't pay attention to English teams either but I am sure there is the same difference.

Personally, I don't like to discuss religion in public because that is one way to get walloped. I still noticed a big difference from Glasgow and Edinburgh. The accents are completely different as are most of the houses.

The people are still lovely people!
    kellyd

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kelly,
    an old adage is to never discuss politics or religon. What would life be without a good argument~~~
    Yes indeed Glasgow and Embra are very different places and to quite an extent so are the people.

Accents change all over the country, I am sure you will have noticed that in England. There are not so many as there used to be and I suppose TV has a lot to answer for...

I am not clear whether you are yet to go to Ayr and Burns' Country. Is that later in the year?

Looks as though there were some "characters" at the castle.
    Sandy

7. Thanks Kelly d thanked for this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Sawney,

I started out to stay in Ayr until Tuesday the 29th but it didn't work out. All I got to see is the train station and Wallace Clock Tower. I want to take the children back possibly over Easter if I can afford it to stay at the caravan park. I have so much research to do! I loved seeing the North Atlantic and those Mountains sticking up from the Ocean! I was told, you can actually see Ireland from a point in Ayr!

I hope you liked the pictures!
    :)
    kellyd

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kelly,
    I doubt that you can see ireland from Ayr. I am sure you have to be a bit further south, nearer to Girvan on order to do that. That is not the Atlantic you see at Ayr is is the Firth of Clyde~~~ BUT it does eventually end up in the Atlantic!!!

Which caravan park are you talking about at Ayr?
    The Mountains in the sea are Arran and Kintyre beyond. Look out for Paddy's Milestone to the South (Ailsa Craig) sticking up all on its own.

Remember to see Burns's statue in the square near the station.

'The Auld Toon of Ayr,
    Wham none surpasses for Honest Men and Bonnie Lasses'

Sandy

10. Thanks Kelly d thanked for this post.
    Like miolchu liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Sawney!

That is not the Atlantic you see at Ayr is is the Firth of Clyde~~~ BUT it does eventually end up in the Atlantic!!!
    After having a good think on this, are you sure that isn't the Ocean? From where I stood, it was a massive body of water! I know those mountains were sticking up to block some of the view but I could not see the other side! ;)
    kellyd

Post Thanks / Like

Kelly it is most certainly NOT the ocean.
    Take a look at a map and you will see...
    Sandy

13. Like Kelly d liked this post.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information