• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beggars at the Table

http://www.authorsink.com/aboutengel.asp

Beggars at the Table

Like beggars at the table of the rich man we politely listening to the not
    materially, but most wealthy in knowledge one, Dr. Elliot Engel’s lecture of almost an
    hour long. The talk titled, “The history of the English language was most informative,
    humorous, and out right hilarious at times, and we were hungry for the man’s eloquent
    speech regarding the language, English, we all speak.

The information was lengthy and highly seasoned with a great abundance of wisdom.
    Who knew our American language has 617,522 words in comparison to Russian which
    has 150,00, or French with 180,00 and even Chinese with 228,000? And so, we have that
    many more words to say the same stupid things, Dr. Engels pointed out.

As I am thinking, “No wonder it is pull-my-hair out time as I’m trying to think of the perfect
    word.”

We learned that because Julius Caesar wanted no part of England he didn’t demand that
    that little island change it’s language to Latin as he required of the French, Italian, Portuguese
    Romanian and Spanish lands. Consequently England was allowed to keep its language of
    100% Germanic origin. Dr. Engels pointed out that the word “ask” was Germanic; however, the word interrogate, meaning the same thing, is French Latin. The word sweat is Anglo Saxon (Germanic) the same word, perspiration is French Latin. Deer is Anglo-Saxon, but Venison, French-Latin, on a menu is preferable to “dead deer.”

Again I’m thinking to myself, “this sounds a bit like our educated Native Americans who demand
    that we use the word, “regalia,” instead of costume, when actually regalia is a French word meaning
    costume.”

Dr. Engels went on to say in the future a new language is developing, one that will be called Slurvian.
    For example a teenager asks his mother, “Jeet?” Meaning, Did you eat?

She answer his question with a question, “Did Jew?” And this has no reference to religion.

I thought this was so funny, but the lofty group of educators must not have, because no one laughed.
    Not wishing to stick out like a sore thumb I didn’t laugh out loud.

We did enjoy the lecture and the wonderful meal provided by the college. The beef was not tough!
    This is Germanic? Venison (French-Latin) was not served along with the beef, but instead there was
    Cajun Shrimp. I wonder if Cajun is French-Latin?) Hmmmm. Anyway, it was gooooooood, and we
    slurped it up like the Okies we are.

Re: Beggars at the Table

Donna

From the American Heritage Dictionary I find the following, which seems to indicate a possible French connection.

Ranald

<quote starts>
    Ca·jun also Ca·jan (kł“j…n) n. 1. A member of a group of people in southern Louisiana descended from French colonists exiled from Acadia in the 18th century. 2. Often Cajan. A member of a group living in southern Alabama and southeast Mississippi, of mixed white, Black, and Native American ancestry. --adj. Of or relating to the Cajuns or their culture. [Alteration of Acadian.]
    <quote ends>

Comment

Working...
    X