Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpentry-Almost never

Carpentry-Never!

My husband worked as an electronic engineer in Dallas. He owned his own electrical company here in Ponca. Now he works in maintenance at the college during his retirement years. Something about being able to power up computers, lights and sound for auditoriums, and being on hand during power outages seems to be his cup of tea. What does this have to
    do with carpentry? Zero, zilch, nothing, has to be the answer.

Rod’s father was a carpenter, who could build anything with saw and hammer. He built two of the homes in which Rodney lived. To watch John go about a job with squares and measurements was nothing more than art work in my opinion. To set up an empty lot with pecan trees newly planted and a comfortable, well built, modern home was something of a gift of remarkable accomplishment. He did all this alone because neither of his sons had his spark of talent as far as carpentry is concerned.

With these words can you imagine my pleasure at this point when Rod worked for a total day to put in a new back door onto the porch. With determined focus he picked up a 300.00 door, used, of course, for 15.00. The elegance of the door is of a modest design with small square windows, but as far as I’m concerned it could be an expensive door of beveled glass, one of sparkling
    newness.

We left the door open during the summer; however, now with winter approaching something had to be done and Rodney took care of yet another little nitty gritty problem around here. Now Rhonda can easily whiz through that space in her wheelchair on the way to the washing machine and I no longer will wrench my back muscles tugging on the broken sliding glass door. Life is good.

Here's a picture of a door similar to ours, except that our's in in a natural wood
    which makes it so much more attractive.

http://www.thefrenchdoorsite.com/ima...renchdoors.jpg

Donna
Working...
X