Success, West End Furniture Art show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success, West End Furniture Art show

Vivian Big Goose can’t be ignored here in our small town. She just dives in and does everything in a big city, California way. Organizing an artist’s reception, bringing in artists of note, and making a tiny group fine enough to rival any art show of much greater proportions seemed like an easy task for her.

For three hours in the afternoon I was transported back to the ranch home of my youth where elegant, rich leather furniture of a western veneer made us feel protected and well within our
    culture of Native American and Western heritage.

The West End Furniture store suddenly made us feel so at home. Here were great sofas with horses woven into the strong fabric parading across the cushions or another one of Native American design in muted but strong reds. Abundance and comfort is suggested and given to any who is fortunate enough to be invited into the space. The only difference in the side tables of stick furniture than the ones Dad made was that these are still holding their bark. Dad stripped the bark off his furniture pieces and polished the wood until it shown with the beauty of its grain.

Burgess Roye, an artist of quite some accomplishment, was there at the preview for anyone wishing to come in and have a chat with the artist. I was reminded of other previews on larger spaces and places where the artist was always caught in a position of having to come out of their world of creativity long enough to make contact with those who wished to view their work. It was evident Burgess must have handled these situations a number of times. He was comfortable and easy with all who came to admire his work. The whispers of ancient culture was caught in
    his stylized creations and this must be what attracts folks to his work.

Titus Big Goose, Vivian’s husband, has a different style from his famous brother, Mars Big Goose, but still, there is a shadowy memory of that ancient culture in his work. Vivian, like myself, enjoys all avenues and subject matter, women that we are.

All in all the artist’s preview was made a success with Marsha the owner of West End Furniture, across the street from Toni’s drugstore, putting out a spread of goodies so delectable we all had to sample or a bit of this or that yummy treat.
Working...
X