X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Art, Design, Decoration, Craft

Art, Craft, Decoration, Design

http://youcallthatart.net/2010/11/09...my-definition/

I hope you can get this information put forth by Mr. Young. He goes into these
    words in more detail and better explanation than I ever could.

On art: This is such a wide field a person could probably spend the rest of their lives
    studying all artists from early Egyptian, Babylonian, Greek, Roman, renaissance and
    on and on. For a time I made a good little bit of pocket change by copying the
    old masters work. Never could I understand how or why a person would want a copy
    by another artist of an artist’s work. In order to be safe from any prosecution for
    this activity I was always sure to put in some place not obvious that it was a copy
    painted by myself, the year, and so forth. Some artists have done jail time for not
    making know that it is a copy. Albeit the jail had its own patio with plants and
    television, it was still incarceration. It must be said that while I worked on the
    old master’s art there was an eerie feeling that the artist himself was standing
    behind me lest I make some error in recording his work. To come to know
    the artist was a wonderful experience. Corot, Utrillo, the great Rembrandt, all
    had clever little tricks they used to create their masterpieces. The copy could
    not be completed without reading extensively about the artist and understanding
    what he was trying to convey and, in fact, how he did that.

Design: Graphic design, Design for bridges, buildings, highways and all kinds of
    work to create our modern society

Crafts: There are good crafts and what I call junk crafts. Good craftsmanship going
    to the creating of fine furniture, the clay models of cars, design first
    then to the crafting of clothing and on and on

Decoration: This is such a wide field anyone would be hard pressed to present all
    the places decoration is used. Even cars are finished with a modicum of decoration.
    Certainly our houses are decorated with each one going to Victorian, ranch, brick, rock,
    stone, and too many to be listed not to mention the interior design of modern, Spanish,
    Danish, country, so on and so forth.

Bottom line? As I mentioned when I started this series on art. This is an endless field
    as close to coming to the intricate workings of the human mind as anyone can ever
    study and learn. In my lifetime, while I was washing dishes, diapers, doing
    floors, but especially as I waited in the doctor’s reception room with this or the other
    child or parent for whom I cared had an appointment. Grief, waiting for the evitable
    end of a loved one’s life span, worries about economic lows, frustration over unchanging
    situations all pale and are faced down by the goodness of art, design, decoration and
    craft. I highly recommend the endeavor something like the man in the nursery rhyme
    who drank from a cup he thought was just a cup, but was actually a body of waters so great.

Re: Art, Design, Decoration, Craft

Donna, I enjoyed your message. However I do not think I have heard of the rhyme about the cup, from which the man drank.

Have you a copy of the rhyme?

Thank you

Ranald

Comment

Working...
    X