Gardening: Arkansas, Chocolate Mint, & Genealogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardening: Arkansas, Chocolate Mint, & Genealogy

The winding back roads of Arkansas were wonderfully exciting we thought. Because our driving as inept tourists caused cars to stack up behind us we
    were more than willing for our new found cousin to do the driving. No cars
    tried to pass him, he easily sailed around the sharp curvs as if he had been doing this for his entire life, which in fact, he had been.

With him driving we could look out across the timbered hills to enjoy the depths of their beauty. The blue haze resting on different places left an impression of respect and awe for what we were seeing. Occasionally, a bonneted elderly woman could be seen hoeing her garden or working in the yard. What a special memory that made.

Suddenly we were lost to the wonders of a small university town where they lived.
    The table was set with what was a sumptuous feast. This cousin taught Home Economics and English and her whole town property was filled with culinary herbs.

She bundled up a chocolate mint plant pulled up by the roots and sent it home with us. Today that plant grows more lush and green than the regular mint from around here. It is a wonderful mint for tea, adding to different dishes and for making potpourri pillows and any other way mint is used for cleaning, adding to baking soda for brushing your teeth, and on and on.

Some say genealogy is a waste of time. “Not so,” I say. If not for the genealogy I would never have known this branch of my father’s family. The leaving of Arkansas by my great-grandfather made a break from them. I’m sure many more parts of family culture were lost, but not the chocolate mint. My husband jealously protects, waters, and clips it to dry for tea or whatever.

Here is where you can buy it:
    http://www.tastefulgarden.com/store/...olate-2p22.htm
Working...
X