Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Otoe Craft Show, May 13, 2011

Beethoven Must Have Had a Mockingbird

Old Mockingbird has a way of coming to my window in the middle of the night.
    Tell me what is his (or her) purpose? Rattle, rattle on he goes in seemingly joyful abandon. Why do I complain this late in life? He, after all, has done this for as long as the family can remember. We decided his song was just part of the joys of living in the country. However, a friend, who lives in town confessed to me her Mocking bird has a repertoire of video games he sings at night while she tries to drown him out in various ways.

The small first time craft show the Otoes are having this May 13 is very important to me. For years I’ve gone about in my quiet promotion of the arts and crafts shows, as well. For me this started around the year of 1975. E.W. Marland, our founding father, was ever alert to trying to further the arts. What happened there? Some how or another the populace was given the attitude that the arts were only for the snobbish elite, which is so wrong and so far from the truth. Truly the arts should be for us, who are often devoid of the finery available to the upper echelon. Each piece of art or craft requires thought for actively solving this or that problem. Who, but the folks who are struggling to survive and provide for their families need to develop the part of the brain to deal with problem solving.

What does this have to do with the Mockingbird. Nothing actually other than he like everything around me seems to be working at 180 degrees out from what I need to get done on the crafts. Rhonda came down with an awful cold and I’ve been working double time to try to make her comfortable, too.

I know we aren’t supposed to practice revenge, but as the Mockingbird tried desperately to keep up with Beethoven, while I finished a large canvas on the patio this morning, at last, I had my vengeance. He worked valiantly to mock Beethoven's notes and finally, when he couldn’t, there was a noticeable, almost squawk of some rough bird’s song only to return once again with trying to keep up with the trills and notes played on the piano. Oh my, what fun.

“Old Mockingbird! You have met your match. Beethoven must have had a Mockingbird, too.”
Working...
X