Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the Rez

On The Rez

“You will never believe what happened to my Native car,” Lydia complained to her friend.

“Don’t call that wreck a “Native Car.” You and Fred are the only ones in the whole Ponca tribe who has a car like yours. Lydia and her friend laughed out loud and it felt good.

“What! Are you telling me we are the only old time Poncas left?”

“I sure am telling you that. Even the kids of Poncas drive classy new cars with boom box radios.” Annie wasn’t through with her comments regarding her friend’s rattling, jerking, dinged up car.

“Fred, his wife, Jackie, and I took our first trip to the Otoe rez in his car. He was trying to get the lever for the seat adjusted to work. We were so cramped he wanted to work in the crowded space without touching me.”

Lydia went on with her story. “I saw his anxiety so I said to Fred’s wife..

“Jackie, Fred is playing with my leg.”

Fred was so relieved to have a joke made of
    his efforts he answered.

“Dang! I just can’t get away with anything.” Fred chuckled in a true Native American jovial way

Good natured Jackie by this time was laughing so hard she couldn’t keep her soda pop drink in her mouth but sprayed it all over the dash. And away they went, off to the Otoe reservation for a class in business ethics. The radio blasted country western cowboy songs and windows were necessarily down to catch a cool breeze. This caused their hair to blow wildly in every direction.
    Lydia placated her friend with the comment.

“Gosh this is a fast horse, Jackie!” And again they laughed out loud
Working...
X