Frugal Felt Potholders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frugal Felt Potholders

Felt potholders are all I have to offer today as far as sharing money saving
    tips. A friend gave me a box of small felt pieces not much bigger than a
    potholder. This skinflint mind of mine couldn’t stand to toss something as
    lovely as they are with their brilliant colors. My experience tells me you can’t wash felt, but then my reasoning goes a bit like this: I never wash potholders anyway. By the time I’m through with them they have burnt places, smudges of grease or whatever and into the trash they go.

This is how I used those pieces of felt to make lovely little splashes of color to hang close to the stove. Cut two squares 8 inches by 8 inches out of two colors, different colors for front and back. Cut two squares 7 inches by 7 inches out of an old towel or some other heavy fabric for the padding.
    Simply use a fancy stitch on you sewing machine to go around the outer edges of the felt after you have placed the padding in between the two pieces.

Cut a small square of 2 or 3 inches from a contrasting bright color and sew it
    to create a design. Sew that and on that design use your machine in a free
    form stitch to sew through the padding and felt to create a way to hold the padding in place while making another puffy form on the small square. Use
    any kind of ribbon, heavy rope like decoration and cut in a 4 inch length to form a loop at one corner for a hanger.

Not much of a tip but in these days every penny saved counts. Oh yes, and by the way, I use a roller cutter to do my cutting for these. It’s much faster
    and easier.

Re: Frugal Felt Potholders

I'm a potholder maker from way back and this is a good idea! I was so hoping for a photo of these colorful potholders.

Comment

Re: Frugal Felt Potholders

This is kind of in the "same vein" as the above felt potholders.

A good friend of mine would take basically "discarded" blue jeans, removing the whole section of material under pockets, including the hip part next to skin, of the back pockets of the jeans. This gives one two layers of material, & the outer pocket is already sewn upon, sometimes in a pattern. Or you could put your hand into the pocket, depending on the heat of the pot!!

She gave me a set of two, & I still use them, although I've lost track of my friend, as she had major surgery, then left for Florida to be with her daughter. Joan

Comment

Working...
      X