Landscaping Art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landscaping Art

Re: RICE FIELDS OF JAPAN--A must view !!

Japanese Farmers create huge displays use no ink or dye.
    Instead, different colour rice plants
    have been precisely and strategically arranged
    and grown in the paddy fields.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    This is a great thing the Japanese farmers create in their fields. I do appreciate because I have the a difficult time just trying to landscape my acre. This year the elephant ears were different on the ridge and they were behind the lovely broad leafed Cannas. I probably should have put the Cannas behind and the Elephant ears in front for a better design. Should ah, would ah, ordered the Negra Bamboo instead. The money I spent (not much, but some) I could have invested in something taller, more prolific, and useable, plus the rippling of the bamboo in the wind, I'm sure, would have been very nice as is the sound through the Pinc trees.

A friend just set up a small slab of concret so I can take the wood stove out of the house and have the pipe go up without going through the middle of the house where there could be a fire. I don't know if it will work or not but I'm looking for a kind of heat by convection as the bricks of the house heat. The small room around the stove will be insulated, too, and the door can be opened to the house for a gentler heat. That is a wonderful stove but absolutely puts anyone out of the house. It so uses up the oxygen we are all lethargic like in a suana which is nice, a little like taking a muscle relaxing pill, but not good for productivity and activity.

This is a time for harvesting of flower heads for seeds next year, for gathering of sage, basil, peppermint, blackberry leaves for tea, marrigold flowers for seeds next year and the juicy though tiny Crabapples for jelly.

My smallest grandson came in with a handful of Pyracanth berries and said, "Here, Gramma, here's some pretty berries for jelly."

Now I must look for Land Bird Johnson's recipe for that jelly. As I remember it is a lovely bright orange jelly perfect for fall dinners. Mind you, Pyracantha, not Bittlersweet which is quite poisonous.

The area around the cedars has become a kind of quiet, soft retreat now that they are nicely trimmed up. To have a cup of tea at a redwood table is a wonderful place which has been created by my humble attempts at landscaping. Remembering my son helping me plant them when he was only twelve is a fond memory, too.

How I admire these farmers for creating such works of art through landscaping, that art form.

Donna
Working...
X