Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bo-Jangles, Dance with Me

What a merry-go-round I'm on.

My ways are just so simple and I'm truly like the village idiot who enjoys life in spite of everything going down in the world around him.

I read that the F.B.I. man who captured the notorious
    Bill Hale, did so by pretending to be the local
    daft person who would dance for nickles. All the time he was dancing he was listening to the talk around him.
    Thus, nailing Bill Hale as the killer of the Osage people. This was in some book somewhere, can't remember which one!

Dad used to say, "Don't ever feel sorry for your kids, it will kill you." I've found pure truth in his words. :) So, indeed, it is simpler just to dance for nickles I've found

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the peppermint tea leaves need cutting and drying also the sage and basil. My Celosia is as high as my head and going back to its mother plant the Cockcomb, so I need to cut, mark and label those seeds. They grow so well in this soil and the gasp of someone's breath as they walk out the back door where they grow om brilliant dark burgandy red is definitely worth the effort.

We entertained one night some old friends and as I complained about the tomato plants drying up and not producing one tomato because of the summer heat.

"Should I just cut them down?" I asked.

"No, no don't cut them. Just water and keep them alive.
    When it gets cooler they will produce in a great way if you can keep them alive." And so it is there are small green tomatoes in abundance. A freeze next week will force me to pick them, but I've found they will ripen in the house.

The little bit of work I did to entertain gave me back that tid-bit of knowledge and what a fine reward
    for us who love tomatoes so much.

"I met a man, a man, Bo-Jangles was his name. Oh Bo-Jangles, dance, dance, dance with me."

Re: Bo-Jangles, Dance with Me

Donna....many years ago, I read a book written by a woman....titled I'M DANCING AS FAST AS I CAN. I've always thought about that in my life, which till last year, was rather like that. What with working outside my home, and doing all the inside & outside work here on 2 acres, it's the picture I did have of myself.

Now, I am thankful for the time to look out the window & see the robins eating tiny crabapples on the tree (they wait till they start fermenting, then it makes them "woozy"). I enjoy watching the pileated woodpecker early in the morning, who is determined to take down, by pecking, the old tree in the barn lot. I do not enjoy bending over & picking up the walnuts which are a gift from the 5 black walnut trees. (I didn't plant them!)

It's fun to let my two cats out, off the enclosed back porch, which is their "preferred" sleeping place, & see them racing around & letting off steam, by racing up & down the stairs. I guess what I am getting at, is I am thankful that I am retired now. I think it was a good time for doing so. Only problem now, is making my $$ stretch farther! Glad you're here on the site. Joan

Comment

Well, Joan, I typed a reply and then somehow lost it.

It was all about being proud of you for having worked out of the home. I know what a lot of
      work it is.

I admired your walnut trees, my favorite nut the Black Walnut.

Love the mention of your cats, we are having the same experience. . .what fun.

Lovely replies like yours keep me sane amidst the goings on of saddness around here.

Thank you so much
      donna

Comment

Hey, Donna....IF I could, I'd ship bushels of walnuts to you!!! I'm so tired of picking them up, & dumping piles back in the woods for the squirrels. I do note here that the squirrels, or someone (?) has been gnawing on them as they lie there on the ground in the grass. I keep hoping someone will just come by, & say "Please let me buy those nuts!!??"

However, that's a pipe dream.....I will never have that happen. I have thought of putting an ad in the paper, but doubt if anyone would answer. The unemployment here in SE Indiana is about 10%. I probably could go back to work part-time, but don't think I could stand to do so. I've just been out hauling pine wood & limbs back, & tossing them, what was left from my barter to cut up & "haul away" the pine tree that came down in May, I think!! Still have a huge maple down in woods, plus huge limbs down from when Hurricane Ike winds came through, how many years ago???

But, I still have the love of being out here. I also appreciate what you write, but can sense also, your concern in regard to "getting things done", as I do myself. Take care, Joan

Comment

Working...
        X