Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return to Dallas

http://www.tnt.tv/series/dallas/

The summer sun was hot and we were so trapped in our high dollar apartment. Four hundred units and my 6 year old haunted them like Daniel Boone while I stayed in constant fear he would turn up in one of
    the many small pools. I watched one day while a little gang like bunch of kids terrorized the neighborhood.

“I can’t do this anymore.” I almost cried to my husband that Saturday morning. “Our son explores this place and I’m at my wit’s end trying to keep up with him. I just want to drive through the country to see what I can find to rent here in the area out of Dallas.

So it was we drove up to a farmhouse out of Plano, Texas about 2 miles from the now historic “Southfork,” so named after the t.v. series “Dallas.”

The farm lady sat under a shady tree snapping green beans. I sat down beside here and began to snap them, too, as I had done so many times when I was a child with my grandmother.

“I’m told in town you own property that we might rent?” I boldly asked.

“Oh you wouldn’t want to live out here, you wouldn’t be happy.” She had already sized up my expensive garb and our new large car.

“Mam, I was raised on a ranch, and I just can’t do Dallas anymore.” I was more than honest with this wise woman.

So it was we rented a farm house next door to the mansion where this film, Dallas, was made. Natalie Duncan, a dark haired, tiny Texas woman, and her husband bought the estate when it had board fences down and much repair work to be done on it before they rented to the film makers. Natalie invited me to a luncheon one day and I’ll never forget the airy beauty of that mansion. After quietly entering through the kitchen area by the pool, as Oklahoma people do, Natalie would not allow me to go out the “back door,” when I was leaving, but insisted I exit through the front door.

“Our guests use the front door,” she smiled at me.

The breezes off that expanse around the mansion pulled and tugged at my hair just as if I was once again at home on the prairie and I was happy.

The rest is history. The t.v. series is taken from my land ladiy’s family. There was an actural “Bud” (J.R.) And his brother, “Bill” (Bobby). Bell was my landlady. What a thrilling part of my life, though brief, that was.
Working...
X