Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Meat Ball

One Meatball

“I know you do a lot of research!” Someone said to me.

“Whatever gave you your first enlightened clue? I wanted to respond, but thought better of it.
    Or, to use one of the kid’s slang words, “Duhhhhh?” And certainly wasn’t disrespectfully going there
    even though ever muscle in and around my mouth seemed to quiver with wishes to speak.

On the subject of research “I do a lot” I am rattling my brain to try to think of someone who lived in and around the depression era, or close after that, Gloria Vanderbuilt popped into my head. As I faithfully Googled her name what a great number of internet histories came up on her. She was born around that era in 1927, and is ten years older than I.

“Why want to learn about a rich kid in and around that time?”’ The questions surely are being asked probably, even though no one will be so rude as to bring them up.

The song “One Meatball, “ my uncle taught me the words and at that tender age of 5 or 6. I was a star
    even though the song made me feel so sorry for the little man who could only afford one meatball.

As a child the folks lived on the ranch where there was such an abundance no one in my family suffered the same scenario this little man lived through as he asked for some bread to go with his meatball only to be turned town, loud and clear by the waiter.

For some reason that learning of life gave me a strange empathy for the heiress, Gloria Vanderbilt, who seemed to be loved only for her money as a child. In my research I discover her son is Anderson Cooper. What a revelation and I can’t wait to tell my friend who is so enamored with him. Anyway, here is Gloria Vanderbuilt’s web page of artwork. She tells that she wants no correspondence unless you are buying. The only envy I have of her is that she was given the opportunity to go to The Art Students League in New York City, and I’m not being sarcastic. Otherwise, I'm so proud she could overcome all that happened to her and make such a great contribution to society.

My hat is off to the folks who feret out all this information so that we who are left on the sidelines here can get joy out of life through research.

http://www.gloriavanderbiltfineart.com/
Working...
X