Bob Wills, Texas Playboy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Wills, Texas Playboy

We closed out the month of January 2012 by having a niece and her boyfriend out for dinner. She had never seen the videos of the old ranch house, and in fact, never seen the ranch. There is nothing there now but ruins but some years ago I video taped those ruins, along with the buffalo on the Tallgrass Prairie preserve. The video is narrated and especially the boy from Texas enjoyed the telling of it.

“Lots of land,” he commented.

“Indeed, 29,000 acres on the old Chapman Barnard Ranch, men from Texas, who ranched in Oklahoma during the summer and Texas in the winter. The video shows the bunk house and kitchen where the cowboys stayed. There was a room showing the great many species of birds and the little animals of the prairie, too.”

“We went to Texas for treatment of Rhonda’s Cerebral Palsy and when we got back this is what we found.” I told them. It’s the old story of the prairie. People don’t make hard and fast friends on the prairie. They are too weighted down with fighting for their own space and no one is there to defend the property of someone else.”

“ I remember when we left this place here for a year to get medical for Rhonda and my son, neighbors were continually calling me at Dallas to let me know what was happening around our place. Once some of them even came over to mow for me, without even asking them. But then here we aren’t way out from anyplace, and I suppose this is the difference.

Once in a while we do something of value and this is how I felt at the end of January 2012. To be able to share with young family a bit about the prairie and the old ranch place where Bob Wills came to play on the rock front porch finished this month off with warm fuzzy feelings for me.

Re: Bob Wills, Texas Playboy

Hey, Donna...I really like Bob Wills & the Texas Playboys. Especially the twin fiddles....they're not bluegrass, but Texas swing!!! Joan PS: I think it has to do with what I heard on the radio when I was a kid. Ha!!!

Comment

Working...
    X