Bury Me Not On the Lone Prairie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bury Me Not On the Lone Prairie

An email friend who meets the challenges of a disabled son while he takes care of a congregtion
    sent me this comment, and I responded

He writes.
    A funeral should be a place where we show our
    mutual support.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My response:

And thank the Lord for men like you who are strong and
    decent enough to take care of a funeral, no matter who.

I had an uncle who all his life tried to make changes here and he did make great changes. Along the way he made a lot of people mad and when he died I couldn't find anyone for the funeral. The Masons did send their Cadillacs for the family and that procession over miles of prairie, across the long road atop the dam made a great statement because of having their drivers managing the trip in such perfect unison and at quite a speed.

We followed in our own car and I was glad we were apart because I keep the picture of that procession always in my mind.
    Those Cadillacs in a mission to carry an old gentleman back to his prairie home was beyond striking.

Mother called a Native American Nazareen gentleman and the non-denominational services he spoke were so much more beautiful than anyone else could have done, anyway, This man is related to us on Mother's Ponca side. A tear comes to my eye when I think about that day.

My husband took care of my father's funeral. It was a beautiful discourse. My little daughter played the organ and a friend sang a song speaking of paradise. Six Bible studies were started with people who attended Dad's funeral.

All that is behind us and for my death I've asked there be no services, grave side or any. I've instructed the children to put the notice in the paper along with our genealogy and let people know they can call at our home.

I had a friend who lost a daughter.
    She said, "They didn't want her when she was alive, and they can't have her body to use for their own purposes after she's gone." They simply played the music she loved, and someone said a prayer. That was it.

I've told my children, "Scatter my ashes beside my Mother and Father's grave or over at the old ranch house cemetery and let that be it," Knowing them, they will do what they wish, though. :)

Re: Bury Me Not On the Lone Prairie

Thank you Donna, for this short story. From reading your book I know which Uncle you are talking about. We have told our daughters we want to be cremated and our ashes spread under the two old oak trees behind our old barn. The feeling under them is so peaceful. We don't want a funeral nor a memorial. We want it to be as easy as possible for our daughters.
    Hugs
    Barb

Comment

Working...
    X