Chilocco Reunion, June 7, 2012-First Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chilocco Reunion, June 7, 2012-First Day

Donna has problems with her computer so she asked me to post this message for her..

The was the closest I could come to give you a vista of the beauty of the Oklahoma landscape around Chilocco this evening.

There on the great patio outside the student union we clasped each other in our arms with tears in our eyes while we shared deep emotions of loss and memories all wrapped up in one moment.

"Do you remember me?" One tall handsome older man asked.

"Do you remember me? I was your room mates best friend?"

"Hello Donna, so glad you’re here!" The McDonald descendent of Lewis McDonald held on to my hand. Lewis McDonald and my ggrandfather, Sam Little Cook , were best friends. Now when they play Little Cook’s song, all the McDonald’s stand to join us in the circle.

"I’m the son of the man who taught your brother the Printing trade," another spoke with me for a length of time and we shared tender stories of his memories and my own, all as we stood close to the shores of Chilocco lake while the sun was setting and beautiful colors were reflected there.

Thanks go to so many of the alumni who worked so hard to bring our Chiloccoans back home on Campus, June 7, 2012. Tomorrow will be even better as more of our own will arrive. Our family of Chiloccoans is great. We were tight brothers and sisters. It was a unique relationship never to be known again and few but ourselves understand.

Dr. Jim Baker’s presentation was all information and I was saddened to hear the Chilocco historical sight was passed over for being put on the LANDMARK Historical Site.

Jim asked me to speak and my short comment was one of praise for the alumni saving the wonderful records of memorabilia and I ended by pointing out that only we as Native Americans have the responsibility to know of the words of a philosopher who said, "Those who refuse to save their history will be DOOMED to repeat that history."

We have a ready understanding of what can happen and, in fact, did happen to us. We are an example of how many people of different tribes, beliefs and religions can come together in a place like Chilocco in peace and unity of purpose to become contributors in a great way.

"We hope, we wish in fact we pray our children will never be subjected to an overthrow of their values so that another country can come upon them to change their beliefs."

"Let us remember and save this history so that the greater population will not have to come under "The Bureau of (?) Affairs of some other country’s government as we did." I warned.
Working...
X