Day Ahead Menu, June 16, 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day Ahead Menu, June 16, 2012

Over the years there have been so many events for which we were the providers. This has helped me to make the cooking easier and I share that with you:

Menu To Prepare a Day Ahead

Swiss steak:
    Prepare the sauce the day before. In a 14 ounce saved pickle jar I chopped a stalk of celery, one onion. To this is added a can of tomato paste (not sauce). Use your favorite seasoning. We like Italian spices: garlic, oregano, rosemary, basil, about a scant teaspoon of each. Fill jar with water and shake up to dissolve the
    tomato paste. On the day of the meal you can cook your steaks a bit on both sides, pour the sauce over the steaks, cover with a lid and allow the onions and celery to cook until tender.

Sauerkraut:
    Put a can of kraut in a quart mason jar, sprinkle a bit of something red, I use minced red bell pepper. Add a couple Tablespoons of sugar to take away the sourness of the kraut.
    The marinating of this overnight is good.

Scalloped Potatoes:
    Boil how ever many potatoes you need. We are having ten people so I cooked ten potatoes. After they are done scrape the skins off. Slice these in thick slices, place in oven ware glass dish. Dot with butter and sprinkle cheese liberally over this. The next day you can simply pour milk ( or cream) over this and heat in the oven until cheese is melted and potatoes are warm.

Jello:
    Three packages of orange jello with a drained large can of fruit cocktail will serve. I have two pedestal, amber bowls in which to serve the jello. Tomorrow I will fold in some English walnuts into the set up jello. Cover everything you make with Saran wrap to keep it.

Vegetable salad:
    Steam frozen cauliflower and broccoli. You want it crunchy. Drain, and run cold water over to cool. Run cold water over Corningware dish and lid in which the vegetables were cooked.
    Put vegetables in this again, pour your favorite dressing over these and store in ‘fridge. You can just set this out on the buffet later.

Pound Cake:
    Slice and put it in a shallow bowl. Cover this with Saran Wrap. Before serving pour or frost with your favorite frosting.
    I have used every kind of topping: marmalade, strawberry syrup, concentrated lemonade with powdered sugar. Tomorrow I’ll use the apricot syrup I have.

Tea:
    I save the liquid off the fruit cocktail and the juice off the apricots which is seasoned with cloves, and cinnamon. This I add to the tea to sweeten. The spices cause the tea to disappear quickly so make plenty.

Vegetable plate:
    I have a large, heavy vegetable plate and I put this in the fridge to cool it. Tomorrow I will slice vegetables, carrots, tomatoes, bell pepper slices, shredded lettuce or whatever other fresh vegetables available in the spaces around in it. For the middle section I will add a dip.

The reason for my doing this do ahead dinner is so that I’m no so tired from cooking on the day my guests arrive and I can enjoy their company much more.
Working...
X