Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to Know How an Indian Thinks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUBIf...eature=related

Joyce Sequichie Hifler’s little book of “A Cherokee Feast of Days” was gifted to me by one of my readers who hs become a friend. She sent the book to me in 2005 and this tells you how my reading has been pushed back, this being 2012.

“How you do entertain yourself,” a neighbor once told me years ago. This must be what I have been doing as all the kitchen table is covered with my making of
    cards to mail out. In searching for positive, interesting sayings I came across Joyce’s book of daily meditation. She lists her publisher as Council Oak Books of Tulsa/San Francisco. The phone number is 1-800-247-8850 should you be interested in it. The price is 10.95, or at least was in 2005.

The quotes of old chieves from about the country at the end of each page is simply so enlightening as far as showing how the chief led his people. These are a few of the quotes, Their sense of humor came through, too:

'We were contented to let things remain as the Great Spirit made them.” Chief Joseph 1873

“We were a lawless people; but we were on pretty good terms with the Great Spirit:” Walking Buffalo

"How can we trust you? When Jesus Christ came on earth, you killed him and nailed him to a cross.” Tecumseh 1810

"Little pot, do not call the kettle black until you have been in the fire as long as he has!” Sequichie Grandmother

“The earth and myself are of one mind.” Chief Joseph

“The wildwood birds...sang in concert, without pride, without envy, without jealousy." Pokagon

“Each man is good in His sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows.” Sitting Bull.

“Do you think I am a child seduced by trinkets? Crazy Bear

“The Great Spirit puts a shadow in your heart when you destroy>” Joe Friday

“I must give something that I really value–therefore I promise to give (myself) my body. Chased-By-Bears

“I learned many English words. . . could recite some of the ten commandments. . I knew how to sleep in a bed, pray to Jesus, comb my hair, use a toilet. . I learned that a person thinks with his head insead of his heart. Sun Chief 1890

Re: Want to Know How an Indian Thinks?

Hello Donna

I think you must have known about my love of words and sayings.

I have today received the two books, 'A Cherokee Feast Of Days' Vol 1 and 2, and have started my journeys through them.

My plan for each day, will be to look at 'todays' date, then perhaps friends birthdays and other 'connected' dates.

Kindest Regards

Ranald

Comment

Re: Want to Know How an Indian Thinks?

Ranald,
      So glad you order "A Cherokee Feast of Days." I'm so enjoying mine, too.
      The lady who sent it to me has had surgery and this remins me to send her
      another "get well card." She was the only one on my list who called when my
      email went down. What a sweet, up beat voice she has.

Thanks
      Donna

Comment

Working...
      X