Papineau & Cartier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papineau & Cartier

Another two biographies of Makers of Canada.

Louis-Joseph Papineau (October 7, 1786 – September 25, 1871), born in Montreal, Quebec, was a politician, lawyer, and the landlord of the seigneurie de la Petite-Nation. He was the leader of the reformist Patriote movement before the Lower Canada Rebellion of 1837–1838. His father was Joseph Papineau, also a famous politician in Quebec. Louis Joseph Papineau was the oldest of eight children.

Sir George-Étienne Cartier, 1st Baronet, PC ; September 6, 1814 – May 20, 1873) was a French-Canadian statesman and Father of Confederation. The English spelling of the name, George, instead of Georges, the usual French spelling, is explained by his having been named in honour of King George III.

In the years leading up to Confederation, Cartier was a dominant figure in the politics of Canada East as leader of the Parti Bleu. In 1838 he returned to Montreal after a year in exile for his role in the anti-government rebellion. Cartier had several reasons for supporting Confederation, notably his fear of American expansion. He officially entered politics in 1848. During his long career he promoted the establishment of the Civil Code as the formal law of Canada East. He also promoted the introduction of primary education in the province. He died in London, England on May 20, 1873.

You can read these at http://www.electriccanadian.com/make...tier/index.htm

Alastair

Re: Papineau & Cartier

This new site of Canadian history is very interesting,and has shown me how little I know about the place my ancestors have called home for over 300 yrs.

Comment

Re: Papineau & Cartier

That's why I am building it as the article in the Globe and Mail said that most Canadian children know little of nothing about their countries history.

And so I hope it will help the children and all Canadians and those that have an interest in Canada.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
      X