Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of Toronto and County of York in Ontario

PREFACE

IN submitting the following pages to the judgment of subscribers the Publisher has to apologize for a slight delay in their production—a delay, however, which has been rendered necessary by the difficulty encountered in obtaining certain minute topographical and biographical information which it was highly desirable to obtain, and which have materially enhanced the value of the work as a local record. It is believed that these volumes will be found to supply a long-felt want, and that all the various promises embodied in the Prospectus will be admitted to have been faithfully kept.

The first portion of the work, entitled "A Brief History of Canada and the Canadian People," gives, in an abridged form, most of the material facts in the annals of our country, and will doubtless be found useful by those who have neither time nor inclination for the perusal of larger and more elaborate histories. It was written by Dr. C. P. Mulvany, of Toronto. The portion relating to the early history of Toronto is the work of Mr. G. M. Adam, also of Toronto; while the remaining portion, embracing the History of the County of York and of the various townships of which it is composed, together with the strictly topographical and biographical portions, have been written by persons having a special knowledge of the respective subjects treated of. The greater portion of the matter will be found to possess more than a merely local interest, and may be read with pleasure, even by persons who have no special knowledge of, or interest in, the respective localities described.

In a work of such extent, dealing entirely with matters of fact, and involving the verification of innumerable minute details, it is perhaps too much to expect that perfect accuracy has in every instance been secured. It is confidently believed, however, that the errors, if any, are few in number; that the wealth of information is great, and, upon the whole, accurate; and that these volumes will in all essential respects compare most favourably with other works of the same character, whether issued in this country or the United States.

With which expression of confidence the volumes are respectfully submitted for the approval of their patrons.

THE PUBLISHER.
    Toronto, 1885.

Have now completed Volume 1 of this 2 volume publication which you can read at http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...york/index.htm

Alastair

Re: History of Toronto and County of York in Ontario

Hello from a new member of Electric Scotland and Electric Canada.

How nice to see Mulvany's A History of Toronto and the County of York... reproduced on the web in an easily read font. I have been working on a transcription of the 1861 census of Toronto. The transcription is complete (though subject to corrections) and I am always wanting to read extra bits about the more than 40,000 people in my database. This will be a place to come to do so.

As my avatar suggests, I am an ex-Torontonian. What it doesn't tell you is that I am half Scots or, perhaps I should say, one-quarter Glaswegian and one-quarter Brandane and whatever a native of Kirkcudbright is called.

I am sure Electric Scotland will be well worth many a visit.

Comment

Hello and welcome. May you have many more illuminating visits to electricscotland.

Ranald

Comment

I will be doing volume 2 of that publication but want to add a couple more of the Makers of Canada before starting on it.

Feel free to contribute anything you feel would be useful to Electric Canadian and do help spread the word about it as the more contributions we get the better. I have spent some 15 years building Electric Scotland so just a few months in to building Electric Canadian so more years of work to go :-)

Alastair

Comment

Working...
        X