So what are we going to see in 2012?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what are we going to see in 2012?

We're ending 2011 on a high note. By that I mean that we're transferring our servers to a new Telco and the new lines will be installed later today 22nd December and we hope to be fully up and running by the end of the year.

Since the fire earlier in the year we have really not got much done at all and that is due to the house where we have our severs being condemned and scheduled to be torn down. The only part of the house that was secure was the basement where our servers are. Problem is that while we had power the water and heating wee turned off. I was of course rather concerned about the security as no-one was living there over the past few months.

The other problem was really an admin one in that due to our Telco Verizon giving us very poor service we needed to stick with them to ensure we got our credits which amounted to several thousand dollars. We have at last got the major part of this paid although there are still outstanding matters but I felt we could now take the plunge on transferring to a new Telco which is happening right now. This also means that the servers will be in Steve's new home and so he'll at long last be in a position to work on them.

The plan for 2012 is thus to do a major upgrade to this community and fix any issues we are aware of. You can of course help with this by telling us of anything that is not working as it should. We also plan to bring up a Smartphone App for this community which will be ours so for the increasing number of people that access the web through their smartphones it should make it a more enjoyable experience.

We also plan on updating our arcade system and bring in some new games. There are actually lots of new things we want to introduce but they have all been on the back burner.

On the web site side of things I see 2012 being the year for places in Scotland. That means I will be hunting for any books on the history of towns in Scotland and will get them up on the site. I plan to make better use of our council pages to point to any resources for a council area. I hope this will also be useful for anyone going to some place in Scotland for a holiday as they can then learn about some of the history of the places they'll be visiting.

My main work will always be on Electric Scotland but I will also continue my work on the Electric Canadian site as well. I find you simply can't tell the history of Canada without there being Scots mentioned in virtually all aspects of Canadian history. In many ways I see this as complemeting the work of Electric Scotland as it gives us an insight into the Scottish contribution to the debvelopment of Canada which was certainly considersable.

I have found this year to be one that in some ways confirmed the work I've done over the many years that Electric Scotland has been running. By this I mean I'm finding it hard to find new topics to put up on the site. While I do find publications that are not on the site I find I already have lots on the topic so in many ways it would only duplicate content that is already available.

I'd certainly be happy to get any suggestions you might have for new material as I'm certainly finding it hard to find anything new. And that is of course why I plan to turn my attention to places in Scotland.

And so that's a wee bit of an overview on where I'll be going in 2012. Overall I would say that I am somewhat dissapointed in what was achieved in 2011. I am hoping that Steve will be more active in 2012 and so help me bring some new content and facilities up for the site. When it comes to technical issues I do rely on him and to be frank he'd been very unreliable in 2011. I hope that will all change in 2012.

So there you have a wee summary and I'd like to thank you all for supporting us in 2011 and wish you all a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Alastair

Re: So what are we going to see in 2012?

Thanks Alastair, it's always helpful to be reminded about the work and decision-making that goes into putting this wonderful content on our screens. We'll be looking forward to whatever comes, and wish you a very Happy New Year cum Hogmanay!

Comment

Working...
    X