LEVON HELM dies at 71.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEVON HELM dies at 71.

Levon Helm died yesterday at 71. I became aware of him years ago only because I loved the movie The Dollmaker so much. He played Jane Fonda's husband, she was Gertie in this. At any rate, I'm going to post an older video here, which was on CBS News back when Levon first had cancer. I thought it gave a good short bio of him, & let all of us see his expressive face. Going to post some videos in Music after this. Joan

Re: LEVON HELM dies at 71.

In 1970, the Band was part of a group of musicians that included Janis Joplin, the Grateful Dead, the Flying Burrito Brothers and a host of other icons of the time who played a series of rock concerts across Canada. The musicians traveled from concert to concert on a chartered passenger train that later was made the subject of a documentary film entitled "Festival Express". It's a powerful snapshot of the times and was, I believe, Joplin's last set of public performances. It's an all-time personal favourite piece of Canadiana and the Band's performance of the "The Weight" is still my all-time favourite show with Levon Helm. Rock on!

Comment

HI, Rick!!! Glad that someone else likes Levon as well. Having had 3 kids during the '60's, I was unable mainly, to listen to, & concentrate on the music then & in the '70's as well. I guess I was in the mode of "putting others first" in my life. However, I absolutely loved Levon's scratchy, hoarse throaty sound. Our tastes in music tend to be similar. Thanks, Joan

Comment

You bet Joan, the Band was a tremendous advancement in music at a time of many great (and some not-so great) advancements in music. If you really want to tear up, check out Levon Helm and John Hiatt rocking a new generation of fans in Nashville, 2009. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
        X