Robert Burns Lives!
    Songs by John Henderson
    British Artisan Expedition to America
    The Criminal and The Community
    Christina's Column
    Tasmina's Column
    Scottish Stories for Young Readers
    The Life of Robert Napier of West Shandon
    A History of the Parish of Neilston (New Book)
    Andrew Lang, writer and journalist
    Lossiemouth
    Beth's Newfangled Family Tree
    Clan Wallace
    and finally

Electric Scotland News

I would like to talk about the Scottish Independence Referendum in this issue...

First I got in an email which I detail below but to preserve privacy have taken out the names...

Hi Alastair

It is almost certain that in the first election after Independence, the SNP will be returned as the government. That being so, it is not the be-all and end-all by any means. Even some of the most diehard SNP members freely admit that the SNP in its present form will break up. At present it is a coalition of extreme right and extreme left being held together by Salmond/Sturgeon. They are praying with all their might that Salmond will not have a heart attack before Independence, because without him, it is dead in the water.

In my opinion the current opposition will have no moral right to stand for election to an Independent Scotland. No doubt they will stand, but after that many of them will be searching for an alternative home, and that is where the SDA should have come in. Remember that prior to Maggie Thatcher, Scotland returned 22 Tory MP’s to Westminster. The right of centre is still there. I just don’t vote Tory any more. There are a significant number of MSP’s in each party who are anti-EU, and who will I am sure make themselves known at the appropriate time.

What bugs me most is the number of pro-EU people who keep insisting we would lose trade rights if we come out of the EU, totally ignoring the existence of EFTA. What we need is to put together a little booklet which explains the EU/EFTA set up in plain language, which should then be sent to every MSP, and made available in schools and public libraries. The vast majority of the public (and that includes MSPs) have never heard of EFTA.

Regards

There was also a PS which was stating that New Zealand is a very successful country that didn't have oil or gas nor whisky but did have lamb.

I am sure there are many out there who still do not know which way to vote and there are many that will just vote yes or no because they don't actually know any better.

Some of the issues are...

The EU is not a democratic organisation and by being a member we would be bound to give away some of our independence. At least being in the UK we can vote out the ruling party but we have no such opportunity with the EU.

Then if we examine currency if we tie ourselves to Sterling then the Bank of England will have a powerful voice in how we run our country.

Pensions is another area that is fraught with a whole pile of issues.

Oil and Gas we should certainly benefit from but there will also be huge decommissioning costs to come so are we taking that into account?

The SNP keep saying all will be right on the day but to me that is assuming a lot. Is it in rUK's best interest to give Scotland an easy ride to actual independence? Too much of what the SNP says is based on faith rather than fact.

I have quoted the SDA Think Tank many times. I have to say that their view on how an Independent Scotland could be run was a great attraction for me. They seemed to be thinking out of the box and showed a real vision about how Scotland could be a radically different and better country. Then to my horror the political arm decided to turf out the very people that formed them and who had come out with a great vision of how the country could be run.

In the media we see claims and counter claims which I guess we should have expected and so it's actually very difficult to get at the facts. The referendum will decide Scotland's future for generations so it's critical in my view that everyone that has a vote makes a real effort to understand the issues. This is unlike a political party that you can vote our in 5 years time. This decision is for life and generations.

And so my purpose with this article is to stress that you must make a real effort to be as well informed about the debate as you possibly can be before you cast your vote. Don't just accept the "facts" as presented by the media or either of the YES and NO camps. Check everything you can.

And as to voting... it is critical that every person that can vote should vote. This is not yet another party election it is the future of Scotland for generations to come! The decision will affect everyone, male or female, young or old, poor or wealthy.

I will say that our independence section tries to be unbiased but I will admit to being somewhat biased when it comes to being a member of the EU as I don't think being a member is in Scotland's best interest.

So this vote will be a complex issue and I feel you need to start learning about the issues now so you are well prepared for the vote. Leaving it to the last minute is really not an option if you want to make the right decision.

You can view our Scottish Independence and Scotland's Future section at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/independence/index.htm where we'll continue to add content where we think it's important to do so. As we split this section into various topics you can work your way through each to see what we provide. So if you wanted to learn more about Energy check that topic. Want to find our more about Scotland in Europe check that topic. Want to find out more about our Financial services check that topic and so on. So you can tackle a topic at a time and gradually build up your knowledge of the issues.

For example, this week we added the story of ex chancellor, Dennis Healy, and his admission that Westminster hid the facts about the value to Scotland of our Oil and Gas industry. We also provided an article which included the 70 page leaflet that the First Minister launched this week on the Economic future of Scotland. To that we also added a rebuttal issued by the Better Together campaign. Which one you believe is up to you.

-----

Scottish Review
    I was introduced to this publication the other day and since then have enjoyed reading the articles and would recommend you take a little time to visit their web site where you can sign up for their emails at: http://www.scottishreview.net/

Here is some background information about them...

The Institute of Contemporary Scotland (ICS), publisher of the Scottish Review, was established in 2000 with Magnus Magnusson as its first patron and Kenneth Roy, its founder, as first director.

ICS aims 'to stimulate discussion and revitalisation of thought and debate in Scotland' and 'to stimulate awareness and discussion of social, economic and cultural issues affecting Scotland and Scots through education and educational initiatives'. It has charitable status.

In proposing the foundation of ICS, at a public meeting in Glasgow on 23 October 2000, the broadcaster Ian Mackenzie said its purpose was to be 'undogmatic, to be intellectually free, and to encompass and share any aspect of life in our land, past, present and future'. He described it as 'yet another effort to break free from narrow systems of thinking'.

ICS attempts to fulfil its founding principles and ideals in two main ways:

The Young Scotland Programme promotes the intellectual development of people in the early stages of their working lives with annual residential courses in which a cross-section of men and women from a wide variety of backgrounds and cultures come together for an intensive exchange of ideas and experiences.

There are debates on issues of the day, guest speakers (the first was a Nobel prize-winner), group discussions and informal dialogue. The intellectual core of the programme is the writing and presentation by each delegate of a paper on a subject of current interest or controversy of the delegate's own choice. The author of the most outstanding paper is awarded the title Scotland Young Thinker of the Year.

The programme originated with a pilot scheme in Glasgow in November 2002. It was so successful that it was extended to Northern Ireland in 2003, England and Wales in 2004, and the Republic of Ireland in 2005. The Young Scotland Programme is now part of the wider Young UK and Ireland Programme organised by ICS's partner organisation, Leaders UK and Ireland Ltd.

Since 2002, more than 500 delegates have successfully completed the Young Scotland Programme.

The other principal way in which ICS strives to fulfil its founding ideals is through the publication, twice a week, of the online current affairs magazine, the Scottish Review. SR was established in January 1995 as an independent quarterly journal of commentary on Scottish affairs. It was acquired by ICS in 2001 and went online in February 2008. It endures in print as an annual hardback anthology.

The Scottish Review, like ICS in general, is non-party-political and offers a forum for discussion for a variety of contributors of all political persuasions and none.
    ICS has no public funding. It depends entirely on the goodwill of individuals who support its ideals and activities by subscription or donation.

Patron: Alan McIntyre
    Honorary Life President: Kenneth Roy
    Honorary Life Vice Presidents: Rose Galt, Tessa Ransford
    Trustees: Fiona MacDonald (Chair), Jock Gallagher, Rose Galt, Islay McLeod
    Secretary of the Institute: Islay McLeod

-----

Earl of Mar
    Got in a query...

I am not sure if this is inappropriate to email you, but I am not sure who or where to get any information. My name is Melanie Carlton I live in Woodland, California USA. I have recently purchased from a yard sale in Woodland, California a Scottish Badge. I would like to know something about this badge and try and have it returned to the family it belongs to, since I feel it may be of importance. Along with the badge was this article about James Clifton The Earl of Mar. The date on the pen is March 11, 1910. I am attaching pictures of both. If you are not able to help could you please direct me to whom I can speak to.

So if you can help you can contact her at xcarmeltoy@hotmail.com

-----

Our Comment System
    For those of you that are involved with Scottish clans and families you are welcome to make use of our comment system to ask questions or indeed add further information. Like if you were involved with a clan and say were going to have a tent at a Highland games you could add a comment to your clan page telling folk about it and provide a date and address for the games. You could even come back after the event to provide a wee report on how it went and that might encourage our visitors to attend the next event. These comments become a permanent part of our site and thus to the history of your clan or family.

Where you are reading a book on our site you could also use the comment system to add a review of the book so others would know if it was worth reading.
    The comment system is meant to add some dynamic content to otherwise static information so do feel free to use it. If you already have an account with Facebook, Google, Yahoo or Twitter you can use these accounts to sign in. As we use Disqus for our comment system and hundreds of thousands of other web sites also use them you may already have an account with them through another web site. Where you don't have an account with any of those it is quick and easy to create an account on the Disqus network.

Mind that your comment needs to go through moderation before it will show on the site. I'm the one that does the moderation but all I'm checking for really is anyone trying to spam us.

Electric Canadian

Canada and its Provinces
    Now added The Prairie Provinces Volume 19 - Section X

You can get to this collection towards the foot of our Canadian History page at
    http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...nada/index.htm

Chris Hadfield, Canadian Astronaut
    I added a page for him within our Makers of Canada section. Used that to embed the video he made "Space Oddity" and links to a couple of sites where you can learn more about him and see some of his other videos.

You can get to this at http://www.electriccanadian.com/make...s_hadfield.htm

FREE Home Energy Improvements
    I found out that I was entitled to get some free home energy improvements so added a thread to our Electric Canadian forum in our community in case you'd like to learn more. You can read that at: http://www.electricscotland.org/show...y-Improvements

The Flag in the Wind
    This weeks edition was compiled by Fraser Hudghton and his main topic is about UKIP and their leaders recent visit to Edinburgh. No Synopsis in this issue.

You can read this issue at
    http://www.scotsindependent.org

Electric Scotland

The Scottish Historical Review
    We have now started on Volume 6 and added this week April 1909.

You can get to this at::
    http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...w/volume06.htm

You can read the previous issues at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/review/

Songs Of Scotland, Prior To Burns
    This book is by Robert Chambers who is famous for collecting old Scottish Songs.

Added this week are...

Gala Water
    The Highlandman's Complaint
    The Rock and the Wee Pickle Tow

You can get to this book at the foot of the page at: http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ers_robert.htm

The Annals of Scottish Natural History
    Now added Volume 10

You can read this at the foot of the page at: http://www.electricscotland.com/natu...al_history.htm

Caledonia Monthly Magazine
    Have added additional articles from this magazine...

Lord Rosebery, Statesman
    William Nicholson, The Pedlar-Poet of Galloway

You can get to these at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...pers/caledonia

Robert Burns Lives!
    Edited by Frank Shaw

W. Ormiston Roy as Remembered by his Grandson by G. Ross Roy

Just over two years ago, Ross Roy and I began discussing a very important matter to him. He wanted to tell the story of his grandfather, W. Ormiston Roy, and he wanted his narrative to be shared within the pages of Robert Burns Lives!. His logic, as always, was simple and to the point. He wanted his account put on the Internet so it would be available to people for years to come. Ross wanted to share with the world his story about a most remarkable man and one that any Scottish journal would be honored to print, and so am I!

In our many conversations, mostly about Burns, rare books about Burns, eBay, new books on Burns, our Burnsian friends, etc., Ross would inevitably mention something about his grandfather. He enjoyed telling me of the influence his grandfather had on him and he liked sharing stories of their trip to Scotland together when Ross was an eight-year-old lad. More than likely he would briefly smile or his eyes would sparkle when talking abut his grandfather. There was never any doubt of the admiration, respect and love Ross had for his grandfather. Having never known either of my grandfathers, or grandmothers for that matter, I was always impressed and in awe of the close relationship of these two men.

In this introduction, I’d like to pay tribute to several sources in the preparation of this article beginning with Ross’s own typing of notes on his old electric IBM memory typewriter. It is especially noteworthy to mention that this is one of Ross’s last writings before his untimely death. Patrick Scott mentioned in an email to me recently that this article was “long promised to you”. When Ross reached the point where typing became a chore, he began dictating his thoughts to Sej Harman, renowned for his outstanding work in Studies in Scottish Literature. The story went through several additional revisions and was still unfinished at the time of Ross’s death. Soon after, Patrick Scott pitched in to complete the editing. Patrick also added the quotation from Ormiston Roy’s essay about Burns and supplied further biographical details. I’m particularly indebted to Ross’s dear wife, Lucie, for her permission to share Ross’s story with our readers. All illustrations are from the Roy Collection at the University of South Carolina. My deepest thanks to one and all! (FRS: 5.23.13)

You can read this article at: http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...s_lives174.htm

Other articles in the series can be read at: http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...rank/burns.htm

Songs by John Henderson
    Got in another song from John...

Tammy An' Teeny Troot
    Lyrics composed by John Henderson on the 8th of May, 2013 to Fred Spielman and Janice Torre's 1960's music for the song, 'Paper Roses'.

Wee Tammy Troot ae day gaed tryst wi' Teeny,
    His gowpin' een he howp'd wud gar her gang
    Tae soom wi' him a bittie doon the burnie,
    An' fin a biel thit wis na muckle thrang.
    "Noo baul Tammy, Losh! ca canny,
    Teeny gurgled, "dinna shiv yer lick!"
    "Och, it is ainly an inveetaishun,"
    Tam syne blythely bubbled, "coor an' saft spik!"

Sae aff they gaed baith kennin fit ilk winted,
    Nae maitter fit bauch wirds she'd spak 'forehan,
    Oontill they wan a biel ahint a boulder,
    Tae sattle doon in quaitness oan saft san.
    Maws an' nebbies, they faach'd lichtly,
    Neist-syne sterted dincin' Burnie-Watter Reels;
    Bit nae fur lang fan baith's spilely-sporty mammies
    Soom'd in babblin' wil-like, "Stap coorse chiels!"
    Fair disjaskit, the freens pairtit,
    Tho' weel kennin trystin' mair they'd try,
    Bit nae expeckin', thit efter I'd deen some nettin',
    They'd hiv bid baith mams a laist bye-bye!

They'd hiv bid baith mams a laist bye-bye!

Glossary:
    Troot=trout; tryst=meet; gowpin'=staring; gar=persuade; gang=go;
    soom=swim; burnie=small stream; biel=sheltered spot; muckle=very;
    thrang=busy; baul=bold; ca canny=take your time, be careful;
    shiv yer lick=push your luck; coor=lie down; spik=speak; kennin=knowing;
    bauch=shy; wan=reached; ahint=behind; boulder=large stone; sattle=settle;
    maws=mouths; nebbies=small noses; faach'd=rubbed; spile-sport=spoil-sport;
    coorse=bad; chiels=people; fair=quite; disjaskit=dejected; pairtit=parted.

You can read more of his songs at http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/doggerels.htm

British Artisan Expedition to America
    Equipped and sent out by and at the expense of the Dundee Courier and Dundee Weekly News Newspapers.

We're now onto Part II of this publication...

Through to Page 23 mostly about Canadian farming

You can read this chapter and the rest of the book at: http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...expedition.htm

The Criminal and The Community
    By James Devon (1912)

We've now completed this book with the final chapter available at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/criminal/

Christina's Column
    Got in her column for 23rd May 2013 in which amongst other information she's taking about the Bedroom Tax.

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...vie/130523.htm

Her other columns can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...lvie/index.htm

Tasmina's column
    Got in her column for 21st May 2013 in which she's talking about
    Why it's important to have a women representing Scotland in the EU.

You can read this weeks issue at http://www.electricscotland.com/life...ina/130521.htm

I might add that we had an interesting comment added to her index page by Dr James Wilkie which is worth a read.

The rest of her columns can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/lifestyle/tasmina

Scottish Stories for Young Readers
    Having discovered from our stats that we have a lot of young readers coming to the site to read our many children's stories I decided to publish some old children's stories which are also very readable for adults as well.

Now made a start on the book Scottish Stories from the Treasure Chest in which the first story is about Andy McLeod which can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet...ndy_mcleod.htm

You can get to the other stories in this section at http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/stories/

The Life of Robert Napier of West Shandon
    Chevalier of the Legion of Honour; Knight Commander of the Order of Dannebrog; President of the Mechanical Engineers by James Napier, M.A., F.R.S.E.

It is often said that the Clyde made Glasgow, and the object of this volume is to relate in some detail the life of one who, by his energy and perseverance, caused the Clyde to become the most famous shipbuilding centre in the world, and thereby contributed most materially to building up the fabric of what is now called the second city in the Empire.

We're now up to Chapter IX of this book about the Cunard Company which starts...

We now come to one of the most important events in Napier’s career — the founding of the celebrated Cunard Company. In the inception of this enterprise the leading role was taken by him, and we purpose going into this matter somewhat fully in the light of the documentary evidence still extant.

In the early ’Thirties, about the time Robert Napier was expressing his opinions on the practicability of regular steam communication between the two continents, the same subject was being considered from a different point of view by a prominent Canadian, Mr Samuel Cunard, whose attention was directed to the matter by the successful trans-Atlantic passage made by the small Quebec-built steamer Royal William already referred to. Cunard was descended from a family of Pilgrim Fathers who had emigrated to America in the early part of the seventeenth century and settled in Philadelphia. When the United States declared their independence, the Cunard family was loyal to its British traditions, and removed to Halifax, where Samuel was born in 1788.

After serving an apprenticeship in a merchant's office he obtained a partnership in a Boston shipping firm, which conducted a service between Halifax and England, employing on the trade “tublike” vessels widely known as “coffins,” from the fact that several of them foundered in the stormy waves of the Atlantic.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter09.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...pier/index.htm

A History of the Parish of Neilston
    By David Pride (1910)

A new book we're starting.
    Here is the Preface to set the scene...

PREFACE

The many and great changes that have taken place in the parish of Neilston in recent years have been such as to render the information contained in the different historical accounts now extant very misleading, and in many particulars quite incorrect. The public works described as flourishing at the time the accounts were written, have in many instances now ceased to exist altogether, and new forms of labour and enterprise, in which the parish has taken a forward part, are altogether unrecorded. Properties have changed hands, noble and illustrious proprietors, once large holders of land, have ceased to be possessors in the parish where they at one period flourished, and industries unheard of at the date of the latest of the former records, have brought new men and new business into prominence; whilst by the union of several small hamlets, unimportant places a few years ago, what was lately the town, now the Burgh, of Barrhead, has become a busy centre of industry and influence; and the spread of various railway systems throughout the parish has brought the whole community into closer touch with the outside world and its affairs.

For these and other reasons, the writer has thought good, whilst not neglecting or leaving unconsidered the landmarks of the past, to put on record, however imperfectly, the following statements bearing upon the conditions of the parish as they present themselves at this date.

The objects aimed at have been to trace succinctly the origin of the parish and its people from the earliest periods to the present times; to describe the progress and advancement that have been made socially, politically, and economically., and, with the changes, to indicate the vast improvements everywhere visible in these respects.

It has also been the writer’s aim, as far as is compatible with the character of the book, to consider the Archaeology and Antiquities of the parish, and present some record of such of the ancient mansions as are last passing away under the corroding influences of time and neglect. In connection with the earlier of these studies, an endeavour has been made to trace the origin—or “whence?”—of the numerous Place-Names that have come down through the ages to us attached to the great, though familiar, outstanding landmarks of the parish— a record, in short, of things old and new as affecting the parish and the community.

To friends from whom the writer has received help and guidance, he desires to express his grateful thanks, and though, for the most part, he has refrained from adding foot-notes of the several works consulted, yet he gladly acknowledges both the authors and the works he has been indebted to for valuable information, and from which he has frequently made extracts, and without which, in short, the book could not have been written.

In closing this record of an ancient parish, there comes the forceful presentiment that its rural conditions are silently, but surely, undergoing change. Public opinion, which quite recently was little more than in embryo, is now so rapidly expanding, that, ere many decades pass, the simple customs, frugal habits, and kindly manners that characterised the earlier and more primitive people, will have largely passed away, giving place to more strenuous and exacting conditions. For good, or otherwise, many things are contributing to this end, and nothing will stay it, even were it desirable to do so.

No one is more sensible than the writer of a certain want of sequence or continuity in the work. But this was to some extent almost unavoidable from the fact that it was written at spare intervals as opportunity presented during the arduous practice of a country professional life.

You can read this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ston/index.htm

Andrew Lang, writer and journalist.
    We are starting a profile on him and some of his work.

Born in Selkirk. Died at Banchory (1844 - 1912). Writer and Journalist. His output was enormous and varied over many subjects from fairytales to anthropology and Greek literature. The old Cottage Hospital in Selkirk is now called the Andrew Lang unit.

We're made a start at bringing you his book "A Batch of Golfing Papers"

You can get to this page and the stories at http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/lang/

Lossiemouth
    You might remember that we were trying to engage the community of Lossiemouth to profile the community for us but only a couple of locals got involved and it's been at least a year since anything had been added to their section of the site. However this week we got a few stories in...

Historic Covesea Lighthouse extinguished after 166 years
    This can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/loss...on_david01.htm

Fred Bruce, the renowned Bible Scholar from Elgin.
    This can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/loss...fred_bruce.htm

Lossiemouth Mission Man Honoured by the Queen
    This can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/loss...on_david02.htm

Beth's Newfangled Family Tree
    Edited by Beth Gay

Beth has sent in Section 2 of the May issue and section 1 of the June issue. Mind if you have missed any editions click on the "Archives" link on the page.

You can get the latest edition at http://www.electricscotland.com/bnft/

Clan Wallace
    Got in a copy of the Clan Wallace newsletter for Spring 2013. You can read this at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...etters/wallace

And finally...

God Knows

The children were lined up in the refectory of an R.C. elementary school for lunch.

At the head of the table was a large pile of apples where one of the nuns had made a note, and had posted it beside the apple tray:

"Take only ONE. God is watching."

Moving further along the lunch line, at the other end of the table was a large pile of chocolate chip cookies.

A child had written a note there, "Take all you want. God is watching the apples."

-----

Worry Lines

One day a little girl was sitting and watching her mother do the dishes at the kitchen sink. She suddenly noticed that her mother had several strands of white hair sticking out in contrast on her brunette head. She looked at her mother and inquisitively asked,

"Why are some of your hairs white, Mum?"

Her mother replied, "Well, every time that you do something wrong and make me cry or unhappy, one of my hairs turns white."

The little girl thought about this revelation for a while and then said,

"Well Mum how is it that ALL of grandma's hairs are white?"

-----

And that's it for now and hope you all have a great Weekend and our US members a great Memorial weekend.

Alastair
Working...
X