The Life of Sir William Fairbairn, Bart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Life of Sir William Fairbairn, Bart

Born in Kelso, son of a farmer. Became an apprentice wheelwright in South Shields, befriending the young George Stephenson. Set up business in Manchester, making machinery for cotton mills and in 1830 took a lead in making iron boats by opening a shipyard at London.

Notable Achievement: Engineer. In Stephenson's bridge over the Menai Straits in Wales. He invented the rectangular tube that was ultimately adopted and he erected a thousand bridges upon this principle. Became Fellow of Royal Society and President of the British Association. Knighted in 1869.

This is a book about him in pdf format but I have extracted Chapter III which is about him growing up in Scotland. I found this book to be an enjoyable read. A good chunk of it was written by himself as a kind of autobiography but more has been added to it.

You can get to this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/fairbairn/

Alastair

Re: The Life of Sir William Fairbairn, Bart

It occurred to me that we haven't really done a detailed biography of a civil engineer on the site so have decided to ocr this whole book onto the site. I've still made the pdf file of the whole book available but if you want to read it online instead you'll now be able to do so. At time of writing this I'm up to Chapter VI but this might take a wee while to finish as I'll heading away on Tuesday for a week or so.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
    X