The Scottish Historical Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Scottish Historical Review

This is a collection of issues of this publication that are on the Internet Archive. Problem is that while they mark some of them as volume 1, etc they don't tell you what is in each volume. This being the case I downloaded a few to explore the contents and found many interesting articles. I have thus now downloaded quite a few volumes and so below you can now see the basic contents for each. When you click on any of these volume links you are taken to a page for that volume where I've also put in a scan of the contents page so you can also see the author of each article. At the foot of the page is a link to download that volume. This actually takes up a fair amount of time and effort to do this so hopefully you will find this useful.

There are many interesting articles in these volumes and just reading Volume 1 you will find a critical article on genealogy where the author comments on how the House of Gordon has many compilers but all covering the same main lines whereas none seem willing to spend time on the minor lines. He observes that if genealogists worked in co-operation then much more could be done.

In another article there is a discussion about how one historian has made many incorrect observations and thus slanted the history of Scotland for those that just read his book. The warning is clear in that no history on its own should be considered totally factual.

Then there is an article on the Sculptured Stones of Scotland which is also very interesting. A lot of these articles also give references to other works and in each volume you'll also find a book review section.

You can learn more about these volumes at http://www.electricscotland.com/book...view/index.htm

Alastair

Re: The Scottish Historical Review

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
    There are many interesting articles in these volumes and just reading Volume 1 you will find a critical article on genealogy where the author comments on how the House of Gordon has many compilers but all covering the same main lines whereas none seem willing to spend time on the minor lines. He observes that if genealogists worked in co-operation then much more could be done.
    Alastair
    Hi Alastair,
    hope to get to some of this in between gardening and house clean up back here in Oakville.
    I agree with the above comment - most histories are usually heavily influenced by interpretations made by the author(s) often to suit their own particular politics and / or propositions.
    So read as many as possible to get the overall picture...

Sandy

Comment

Re: The Scottish Historical Review

Well we do have over 340 major publications on the site and quite a few are multi-volume sets. And that doesn't include the hundreds of shorter books, text books, pdf books and hundreds of articles.

As it happens from time to time I get emails from clans saying this is our official history and we'd appreciate if you could remove what you have on your site and replace it with this official version. I usually ask what they are trying to hide <grin>

Alastair

Comment

Working...
      X