Twenty Years on the Saskatchewan,*N.W. Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twenty Years on the Saskatchewan,*N.W. Canada

By the Rev. William Newton, Hon Canon of Saskatchewan (1897)

This is an interesting book where you'll find just how long it used to take to even travel to this part of Canada. I have been working from time to time on places in Canada due to the immense contribution that Scots made to Canada. So I hope you'll enjoy this book of the old days in Canada as the country was starting to open up to colonization.

You can read this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/canada/twenty

Alastair

Re: Twenty Years on the Saskatchewan,*N.W. Canada

Thanks Alastair, another very valuable historical reference. I was particularly interested in Newton's reflections on the causes of the Riel Rebellion and on Riel himself, both of which are dissolving into contemporary myth. Although the reasons are well known, it never ceases to impress me how much of western Canada's history flows through the pen of some diligent Scot!

Comment

I'm actually considering creating a Canadian web site as since coming here I find I've been doing quite a lot of histories on Canada. As mentioned above that's really because Scots seem to be everywhere in Canada and the recording of those histories is truly amazing. You almost can't read any history of anywhere in Canada without encountering Scots and usually they made some pretty amazing contributions in their locality.

Alastair

Comment

Do you mean another forum, as there is a Canada link in the heading on the main es page.

Ranald

Comment

No... I actually mean a whole new site dedicated to Canada. I have done a number of general histories on various parts of Canada to illustrate how the Scots made their contribution to the country. However in these histories there is information on many other ethnic groups. I have also found that most Canadians know very little about their own history and so I thought this might be a useful way to make more information available on Canada for Canadians and anyone with an interest in Canada.

While there is a lot of information about Canada on our site I would guess most Canadians wouldn't come to us to find out about their own country unless of course they were of Scots descent.

Alastair

Comment

Hello Alastair, knowing you, it would not even be considered, unless you were sure that it was a worthwhile venture.

Go for it.

Comments from others, will be very interesting.

Ranald

Comment

Working...
            X