Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory of Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory of Scotland

I happened to come across this publication while searching for something else and quickly recognised its benefit to those interested in genealogy.

I took a scan of the MacIntyre names from the 1911 edition to add to the Clan MacIntyre page and you can see this at http://www.electricscotland.com/webc...ntyre_dirs.htm

However on that page I have also provided a link to the Internet Archive where you'll then find a list of the directories available from around 1855 to 1911. Not only are there a listing of private residences but also a commercial directory as well. I guess it's a bit like an early Yellow Pages.

So anyone looking for a name from 1855 onwards in Scotland may well find these useful.

I might also note there is also one directory containing information on some counties of England.

Hope you find this useful.

I might also add that these directories are huge being from around 150Mb to over 200Mb. I'd quite like to cut these up to make them more easily accessible but it would be a huge task.

Alastair

Re: Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory of Scotland

On doing some further research on the Internet Archive I also found earlier directors from Pigot & Co and also Fowler. For those interesting in the area around Greenock there are considerable number of Post Office Greenock Directory's for quite a number of years.

The Fowler directorie go back to 1829.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
    X