Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Description of the Scenery of Dunkeld

And in Blair of Atholl (1823)

I got an email in from Ranald about this book and thought I'd copy it here due to his interesting comments...

Just a follow up on your recent update on the book 'A Description of the Scenery of Dunkeld
    And in Blair of Atholl (1823)', also the 'Glen Tilt' chapter put up yesterday.

First, the book was written by John MacCulloch in 1823. An interesting bio of the man is at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_MacCulloch

Secondly, in the 'Glen Tilt' chapter of the book - third last paragraph, there is mention of a bridge, where there is evidence of granite intrusion. This is where Donald researched James Hutton's findings of 1785, and brought it into the modern geological world!

It was also partly because of Donald's work on Hutton, that the Hutton Institute was formed, although it is not a geological unit..

http://www.hutton.ac.uk/about

Ranald

I might add that I've included a Google Map on the index page along with a video of the area that is on YouTube.

Alastair

Re: A Description of the Scenery of Dunkeld

Here is an old photo of the Dail-en-eas bridge, which I understand was still in position in the 1940's. It may not have been secure at that time and was washes down when the river Tilt was in spate.

I also attach a photo of the upstream of the river. It was taken from what is left of the north side of the old bridge. You will note that the river was at quite a high level, but not in full spate.

Ranald
    Attached Files

Comment

It might also be of interest to see a photo of Forrest Lodge, taken when I was car passanger in, October 2010.

Ranald
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ranald View Post
        It might also be of interest to see a photo of Forrest Lodge, taken when I was car passanger in, October 2010.

Ranald
        Ah, the scenery! It might explain 2000 years of people trying to move in without being invited.

Comment

Working...
        X