X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iona: A History of the Island

By F. M. M'Neill (1920)

PREFACE
    When I visited Iona in 1917 I tried to obtain a modest handbook which should give a concise and comprehensive account of the island: its history and significance in the progress of our Western civilization; its antiquities of the Celtic and mediaeval periods; and, not least, its folk-lore, which gives life and colour to almost every nook and cranny in the little island. But although all this ground had been covered admirably, and with much detail— notably in Trenholme’s Story of Iona, to which, and to Macmillan and Brydall’s Iona: Its History and Antiquities, I am indebted for much information regarding the antiquities and topography of the island—a small handbook at a popular price was lacking. I have tried here to compile the book I vainly sought, and trust it will meet the need which many others have felt.F. M. McNeill.
    April, 1920.

You can read this book at
    http://www.electricscotland.com/history/iona/index.htm

Alastair

Re: Iona: A History of the Island

Hi Alastair, although my work took me to within 5 miles, I have never managed to visit Iona.

The book will make interesting reading.

I have often thought about a person to whom it belongs..... they could say.... 'Iona island' lol

Ranald

Comment

Working...
    X