Scottish Yeomanry in South Africa 1900 - 1901

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Yeomanry in South Africa 1900 - 1901

A Record of the Work and Experiences of the Glasgow and Ayrshire Companies By Trooper A. S. Orr (1901)

Here is the Preface...

COMING home from the Cape on board the "Tintagel Castle" a very general desire was expressed amongst us to possess some such record of our small share in the great South African struggle as is contained in the following pages, but it seemed that no one was willing to undertake the task of writing it. After being some time at home, and seeing that otherwise the proposal was likely to come to nothing, I was persuaded to take the matter in hand. I have endeavoured to write a plain story of our work and experiences during sixteen months of service, but I fear it will be found to have lost much of what might have been its chief attraction -life and vigour - from having been written almost entirely from memory after some lapse of time. While intended primarily for the members of the two West of Scotland Yeomanry Companies, it may prove of interest to the friends who, in our absence, showed such a lively and practical interest in our welfare; and last, but not least, it will answer the two questions they one and all ask us:- "Did you have any fighting in Africa?" and—"Did you see any Boers?"

My best thanks are due to Mr. J. Hannan Watson of our company, who has so enlivened the book with his sketches, and to Mr. R. E. Wilson for a chapter on the Bethlehem fighting.

A.S.O.

We have the first chapter up with other being added each day until complete. You can read this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../yeomenndx.htm

Alastair
Working...
X