Historical Tales of the Wars of Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical Tales of the Wars of Scotland

And of the Border Raids, Forays and Conflicts by John Parker Lawson (1839). This is a new publication we're starting on which is in 3 volumes. We intend to post up around 3 stories each week until complete.

Here is the Preface...

THE present Work consists of a series of Historiettes, or Narratives connected with Scotish History, which, it is hoped, will not be deemed uninteresting to the experienced reader; while to young persons, and those of mature age, who have not access to many books, or leisure to peruse them, it will supply them with much valuable information concerning the several localities with which they are acquainted. These HISTORICAL TALES are constructed on the same principle as Sir Walter Scott's "TALES OF A GRANDFATHER," differing only in this circumstance, that, as every Narrative is complete, no chronological arrangement is followed. This may be alleged as injudicious by some readers, but the plan was adopted to combine variety with agreeable information. The Work pretends to nothing new, nor does it interfere with any of the existing Histories of Scotland ; and as it is designed for general use, the great object is to condense the substance of many large and valuable volumes in a convenient compass, the whole being carefully selected and compiled from the most authentic Histories, Chronicles, Diaries, and original MSS. preserved in the public Libraries and in private Collections. These Narratives are designated HISTORICAL TALES, for the same reason that Sir Walter Scott calls his History of Scotland, for such it is on a small scale, TALES OF A GRANDFATHER. There is neither fiction nor romance introduced, and the Authorities are laid before the reader at the commencement of each Narrative.

Although the leading subject of the Work is Tales of the Scotish Wars, and of those on the Continent under the great Gustavus Adolphus, King of Sweden, and other Sovereigns, in which Scotsmen were engaged, numerous individual anecdotes, private encounters, and biographical sketches, are introduced. While the wars with the English, the battles of Wallace and of Bruce, and the exploits of the great Montrose, are prominently brought forward, the Border Raids, Forays, and Conflicts, the chivalrous inroads into the Lowlands of the indomitable Highland Clans, and their mutual battles, encounters, and attacks, are not omitted. On the whole, it is humbly hoped that the Work will be received with favour by the Public, as much on account of its cheapness as of any merits it may possess.

You can read these stories as we get them up at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/wars

Re: Historical Tales of the Wars of Scotland

I should also add that I read in this publication about "Tales of a Grandfather" By Sir Walter Scott which I had not known about. It is a story in six volumes of the History of Scotland aimed at readers from six years to ten years. It is a publication that I'd love to ocr onto the site but there is only so much I can do. However I found a copy of it on the Internet Archive and so on this index page I've also placed a copy of it for you to download if you wish.

Comment

Working...
    X