Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Heather in Lore, Lyric and Lay

By Alexander Wallace (1903)

I thought this book would make an interesting read and so I am adding this to our Heather page where already there is much good information.

Here is what the Preface has to say...

RUSKIN, in one of his friendly lecture-talks on art, with the sympathetic spiritual perception and originality of thought which characterize his unique genius, says: "Now, what we especially need for educational purposes, is to know, not the anatomy of plants, but their biography—how and where they live and die, their tempers, benevolences. distresses and virtues." The quaint sentiment voiced by the great philosopher many years ago is somewhat significantly in harmony with this dawning time of a simpler and brighter understanding of humanity and of nature. And could we find for such a flower biography a subject more entrancing, so seductive, almost eerie, so plaintively sturdy, so instilled with romance, with patriotism and with pathos—as the Highland Heather?

There dwells, perhaps, no solitary plant or flower in the sheltered garden or in the lonely wild, whose family ties show no modest record hidden somewhere in the stately annals of history; but the crude fact of history, like a tale that is listlessly told, has little power to charm where lack the flash and glow of emotional ardor; and so I have invoked to my humble biographical narrative of this bonnie floral hermit on our bleak majestic Highlands, that ancient patron Muse of Scotia's departed minstrels—the Spirit of Caledonia.

We learn from the histories of the vegetable kingdom that Calitma vulgaris—the generally accepted botanical term for Heather—has a wide distribution throughout European countries, and in other parts of the world. But so closely has the word Heather become associated with Scotland, that whenever we hear it spoken, or see it written, the fancy instinctively roams to the "land of brown heath and shaggy wood," the beauty of whose stem mountains, softened with their autumnal vesture of purple and brown blending in every-varying and never exhausted tints, has baffled the painter's genius, enchanted the poets vision, and inspired monarch and peasant alike to sing its praises.
    The Heather enters into the literature, the poetry, the lyrics, and into the home life of the Scottish people, to a degree unsurpassed by any other plant in the history of nations and the wonder is that its own interesting story has not before been told in some complete form.

Scotland and the heather are inseparable; the flower derives its inheritance of unique renown, and somewhat, too, of rugged temperament, from the Caledonian mountain wild which has become so characteristically its home; thus it is in its identity with the land of Bums that I wish principally to consider it.

For the purpose of a clearer elucidation of the history and utility of the plant itself, however, it has been thought necessary to go beyond Scotland's borders; still it is believed that this further subject matter presented will be welcomed with interest in localities wherever Scotsmen gather—and by those for whom all things Scottish have a fascination.

A more opportune time, perhaps, could not have been chosen in which to tell the absorbing nature-story of the Heather than this year, the centenary of the council at which Science, in its discernment, removed from the plant its ancient and ill-deserved appellation of Erica, and clothed it with its present designation of Calluna, so much more truly expressive of its unique beauty and charm.

No attempt has been made to enter fully into the botanical or cultural details connected with the plant. These have been treated only in a casual manner: still, it is hoped sufficient information has been given to prove serviceable. The effort has been rather to cull from the multitude of references to the Heather abounding in Scottish and other literature, and to weave the sprays thus gathered into a literary garland the beauty and attractiveness of which shall lie in the depth of the sentiment pervading it, and in the aroma of patriotic love that it exhales.

Defects in the treatment of the subject may assert themselves to the critical reader. No one will be more conscious of these imperfections than is the author; but, in the language of an old writer, for faults of omission and commission, "I referre me wholy to the learned correction of the wise; for they wrote, that no treatise can alwayes be so workmanly handled but that somewhat some tyntes may fall out amisse contrarie to the minds of the wryter, and comrade to the expectation of the reader; wherefore my petition to thee, Gentle Reader, is to accept those my travyles wyth that mimic I doe offer them to thee, and to take gently that I give gladly; in so doing I shall thinice my paynes well bestowed, and shall bee encouraged hereafter to trust more unto thy courtesie."

To the friends who have so willingly and generously assisted me in the collection of the information submitted, I tender my sincere thanks. Particularly, in this respect, am I under obligation to Mr. Robert Cameron, Curator of the Botanic Gardens, Harvard University: Mr. Jackson Dawson, of the Arnold Arboretum; Mr. William Falconer, Superintendent of Allegheny (FL) Cemetery; Mr. George W. Oliver, of the Bureau of Plant Industry, Department of Agriculture, Washington, D. C; and Mr. Joseph Meehan, of Germantown, Pa.

Especially am I indebted to Miss Elizabeth I. Bierstadt, daughter of Mr. Edward Bierstadt, of New York City, and niece of the celebrated American landscape painter of that name, for the charming life-like painting of the sprays of Heather, reproduced from flowers received from Scotland, which form the frontis. piece to this work.

I also tender my acknowledgments to Mr. H. C. Dugan, of Aberdeen, Scotland, for photographs of Scottish mountain scenery.

I send forth this little volume, the result of some years of painstaking research during the spare moments snatched from a rather busy life, as the tribute Of an expatriated Scotsman to the mountain flower of his home land, hoping that a perusal of its pages may but deepen the ardor of Scotland's sons and daughters everywhere to continue to sing, with the best heart and voice at their command, the praises of their native Heather.

And you'll find this book around three quarters of the way down the page at http://www.electricscotland.com/gardening/heather.htm

Alastair
Working...
X