Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presbyterian vs Episcopalian vs RC Clans

Hello all

I am doing some historical research on surname distributions. I am wondering if any of the historian gurus here know what Highland Clans were traditionally associated with which of the 3 big religions?

For example, Devine in his book "The Scottish Nation" states that 15 of the 26 clans that supported the Jacobites were Episcopalian, 5 mixed and 6 RC in
    leanings in 1715. (I assume Presbyterian clans tended to be Hanoverian). But my question is which clans?

Does anyone have (or can they post) a list of Clan associations by religion? So far, I've only seen scattered references to individual clans (e.g. Ross and CCampbell's tended to be Presbyterians, McDonnells tended to be either Episcopalian (South) or Catholic (North) and so on).

This is a bona fide academic research - not some sectarian exercise. I know that things changed over time (e.g. Highlands became presbyterian in 18th and 19th centuries, etc), etc, etc

Many thanks

Re: Presbyterian vs Episcopalian vs RC Clans

We have a book on the site about the Jacobites which may help. It's at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ites/index.htm

Alastair

Comment

Working...
    X