Bluegrass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bluegrass

Hey, Tom...didn't see this for a loooonnng time. Yes it's the right people, but I believe that my DVD's are from the Transatlantic Sessions #3. Seems to be in the same vein. Thanks for the posting. I've posted many of these to my own files, so can play them when I feel like it. In regard to Vassar, I also "know" him, only by tapes, cd's, etc. In regard to the music Orange Blossom Special, & also Bonaparte's Retreat, they are not permitted in the "contest" part of fiddling contests. They are only allowed, during the "outlaw" phase of the program, when someone gets a special prize for playing either of them. I remember a little boy playing OBS last summer at Greensburg, IN contest. Tks, Joan

Comment

Joan, should you ever be fortunate to visit Scotland, leave enough time for a visit to Wales.

The following link will give the reason lol

http://www.northwalesbluegrass.co.uk/

Ranald

Comment

Hey...Ranald, I appreciate the link. I haven't heard of any of these performers. But hope eventually, if all goes well, & "the creek don't rise", to go over to UK, again. I lived in E. Suffolk for 3 years when I was 17-20. Wasn't interested in this kind of music then! I truly enjoy our international interchange between all of us on this site! By the way, in case you hadn't seen it, I went to Scotland, & visited cousins in Aberdeen for a day. Then went on to Tomintoul for the night, with my parents & brother. Thanks. Joan

Comment

I found one of my favorite James Taylor covers by the Sceldom Scene

http://youtu.be/wUtS3WOPJlI?hd=1

Comment

Hey, Tom.....as I'm not at home, I cannot check my cd of the Seldom Scene. Over in Maryland at my son's, having gone to a wedding down in the Outer Banks. Glad to hear the music. Joan

Comment

Bluegrass Christmas Music

Yes, there is a such thing! Here is a slightly irreverant tune titled "Rudolph Drank the Moonshine"

Comment

Re: Bluegrass Christmas Music

Tom...that's surely irreverent, but quite cute as well!!!! Thanks, Joan

Comment

Darn! now another tune's got stuck in my head and won't get out.

Comment

I've been grappling with a 'spotty' family history getting ready to upload to Alastair's genealogy section once I get the login sorted out.

The limited history I have been able to sort through has left me 'hanging on the washline' as it were. So I went to youtube and found this tune: Time Gone By performed by the Jerry Douglas band.

Comment

And I might add we're trying to figure out what the problem is but this being Easter it might need to wait until Tuesday before we can figure it out. I'm in Toronto right now having a wee break.

Alastair

Comment

I will try to post a video of the Seldom Scene playing a Bob Dylan tune

Comment

Hey, Tom...

Appreciate the video....

I have The Best of the Seldom Scene, Vol. 1 cd, but this song isn't on that. I kinda wonder IF this group is totally "bluegrass", as didn't they come out of DC? However, the cd is from Rebel Records.

I do miss living near the sea, though. My younger brother "used to" have a 31 ft sailing yacht, & also "used to" own half of a plane. NO longer.

Thanks. Joan
                          Last edited by FriedaKateM; 10 May 2012, 14:06. Reason: addendum

Comment

Originally posted by FriedaKateM View Post
                            Hey, Tom...

Appreciate the video....

I do miss living near the sea, though. My younger brother "used to" have a 31 ft sailing yacht, & also "used to" own half of a plane. NO longer.

Thanks. Joan

The Seldom Scene formed in Bethseda Maryland in 1971 and played a progressive style of bluegrass. Over the years they have ventured into folk, country with occasional popular music covers thrown into the mix. Band members were a cartographer, a physician, a graphic artist and a number of other professions. On forming they agreed to stick with their respective professions and only play local venues on a part-time basis, hence their name "Seldom Scene."

Comment

I have found a series of cover albums performed by bluegrass groups - intended to pay tribute to popular artists and groups. Some of it is pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                              X