Tackling bullying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tackling bullying

A new national approach for preventing and dealing with bullying involving children and young people has been launched by Children's Minister Adam Ingram.

The national approach, developed by the Scottish Anti-bullying Steering Group - the body which promotes anti-bulling work in Scotland - will:

Create a national framework for tackling bullying by promoting a common vision and aims, and ensuring that all agencies and communities are working together, in a consistent way to deal with the problem.

Clarify how through a range of roles and responsibilities everyone can be involved in preventing and tackling bullying.

Define bullying in terms of the behaviour involved, reflecting the fact that it can occur in a range of settings, can come from children, young people and adults and can occur in cyberspace but recognise that in essence, the behaviour is the same and requires similar prevention methods.

Under the approach all organisations are also expected to develop and implement an anti-bullying policy which should be reviewed on a regular basis. This should set out expectations and responsibilities for staff, children and young people, information on the strategies to be used, clarify how and how often the organisation will communicate its policy and to whom; and how parents will be informed of incidents. It should also include information on how often the policy will be evaluated to understand how effective it is.

Speaking at the respectme's annual conference in Glasgow - an event which coincides with national anti-bullying week, Mr Ingram said:

"We all want children to feel safe and secure - in school and out of school. Bullying behaviour can seriously affect this and should not, given is potentially long lasting consequences, be simply dismissed as normal part of growing up. It isn't.

"Our new national approach, developed by the Scottish Anti-Bullying Steering Group, follows extensive consultation with children's organisations, resulting in a strong consensus around what our approach to anti-bullying should be; what our roles and responsibilities are; and how we all contribute to this.

"It will also ensure that there is consistency across the country and between school and out of school groups, as to how best to tackle these problems in the interests of all our children."

Mary Docherty, ADES representative and Head of Education three to 18 in North Ayrshire, said:

"I very much welcome the publication of the National Approach to anti-bullying which is underpinned by the principles of Getting it Right for Every Child and Curriculum for Excellence. This very comprehensive document provides guidance for all services working with children and young people about effective practice in preventing and dealing with bullying. Safeguarding the child or young person's welfare is of paramount concern."

Alison Todd, Director of Children & Family Services for CHILDREN 1ST, said:

"We are delighted to be involved in a national approach to help tackle bullying. Bullying is a blight on childhood and affects thousands of children each year. By working together, we hope to change the attitude that bullying is an accepted part of growing up and work towards a society where children and young people live without the fear of being bullied.

Re: Tackling bullying

Alastair

Teaching children starts AT HOME, it is the PARENTS that require teaching...

If that were implimented, the good folk mentioned in your message, would be out of work !!

Ranald

Comment

Both posts are well worth a great effort.

I agree, the parents must be the ones who need to be broken from the Father-Son Syndrome, which I have stated in other postings..... If the authorities will work together to find out why children become bullies in the first place, I believe this is a strong step to breaking the above syndrome!
      kellyd:redrose:

Comment

This seems to be a world wide problem these days. I've often wondered if it's a matter of intepretation about IS bullying, because I never remember being bullied or bullying anyone in my life in school or work. I've asked my children, who are in their 30's, if they recall being bullied or bullying and they both said no.

The one incident which I do remember concerned a teacher bullying a child when I was in primary school. I must have been about 9 or 10 and this teacher had a girl in my class up against the wall with one hand around her throat. I was the only one in the class who jumped up and yelled "Stop that!" I remember I ran out of the class, ran home and told my mother. Whatever happened after that I don't know as I never heard another thing about the incident. I can only surmise that my mother spoke with the school and the teacher was somehow disciplined because nothing happened to me and no-one spoke to me about it.

Elda

Comment

Originally posted by Ranald View Post
          Alastair

Teaching children starts AT HOME, it is the PARENTS that require teaching...

If that were implimented, the good folk mentioned in your message, would be out of work !!

Ranald
          We have bulling here in the States, it seems to be new over here.
          I think the parents need to learn how to teach their children to be kinder to others.
          Marie

Comment

Hey,
            I agree with everyone's comments. This is a world wide problem. This also starts at home with parents teaching their children to be kind. I also feel that all the TXTing, Facebook, etc. adds to the bullying. I hope that this attention to the problem will make a difference.

Comment

Working...
            X