Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorabilia find cause to re-open oldest golf shop in the world

Article by James Moncur

THE oldest golf shop in the world re-opens today after a hoard of memorabilia from the father of the game was unearthed by workmen.

The Tom Morris shop, overlooking the 18th green of the Old Course in St Andrews, is expected to attract customers from across the globe.

The store was originally opened in 1866 by the four-time Open champion.

A number of artefacts belonging to Tom were found during the revamp, including his workbench in the shop window where he made golf clubs and the fireplace where he heated and shaped "gutta percha" balls.

Builders were also stunned to find the great man's original locker where he stored his clubs.

The building was acquired last year by St Andrews Links Trust, who manage the Home of Golf's seven public courses.

It was closed over winter for the revamp and reopened with a new look.

The shop now stocks clothes and kit bearing an updated Tom Morris crest from the 1880s and the sign on the front of the building has once again been styled with the name "T. Morris" as it was in his time.

The items that were found now form part of a display area in the shop celebrating Tom as a golfer, pioneering greenkeeper and course architect.

Tom was employed by The Royal and Ancient as Keeper of the Green in St Andrews for nearly 40 years and made improvements to the Old Course.

St Andrews Links Trust chief executive Euan Loudon said: "The new shop will be a fitting celebration of his remarkable career and achievements."

----

I might add that I have a full set of Tom Morris golf clubs. My father was a good friend of David Anderson who owned the shop back in the 60's and my father used to sell sets of clubs to his friends and colleagues in Kuwait. When he retired from there David gave him a complete set of clubs with golf bag as a way of saying thanks for all the business he'd brought to him. My father then gave the set to me.

Alastair
Working...
X