LPGA US Championship 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LPGA US Championship 2010

I have enjoyed watching the US Championship this week but Saturday's coverage has been quite terrible given that this a one of the majors for the LPGA. That course they are playing have wicked greens.

Alastair

Re: LPGA US Championship 2010

Alastair, was it the golf you enjoyed or the ladies?..I'd carry the bag for quite a number of them...
    Euan..

Comment

Both Euan. Actually the amateur South African player has her boyfriend carrying for her and he's never played golf in his life.

They say most average men players can actually learn more from watching the women play and might actually be better players using womens golf clubs. It was reading that that got me watching the LPGA.

Alastair

Comment

Alistair, when you say "They" you mean women?
        Euan..

Comment

Euan, same auld same auld LOL
          Marie

Comment

Actually it was a male club professional and it was an article I think in MacLeans magazine. It was an article about seniors golf where he was saying that distance didn't matter and to look at how the LPGA members played their games. He also said that womens clubs were more flexible and that could be worth an extra few yards to the seniors. He then went on to say that just average male golfers could probably learn more by watching the LPGA tournaments. I believe his club had hosted one of their tournaments and that after that he'd had a lot of women members joining and wanting lessons.

I think the main argument was with high handicap male players always trying too hard to get distance instead of accuracy. In actual fact when I used to play at Glenbervie in Scotland I often met a foursome of seniors all in their seventies. They always came in with a decent score. I was talking to one of them and he told me that they had decided to always aim at getting one over par for each hole and that meant they'd be playing at an 18 handicap level. He said when they came up with that idea it was amazing how they actually did much better than that.

Alastair

Comment

Much the same as "Size V Skill" i suppose...not what you have but how well you use what you have...!
              Euan..

Comment

Well I note Paula Creamer won the Championship.

Comment

I have to admit Women playing golf doesn't interest me as much as the Men playing. Much the same with Women playing cricket...Probably doesn't get the coverage like mens sports..
                  Euan..

Comment

I recall attending the LPGA tournament at St. Georges Golf Club in Toronto many years ago. I didn't expect to find the female golfers interesting, but came away with a whole new respect for their talent. Distance off the tee is obviously shorter, but accuracy makes up for it, as does some skilled putting. One of the big stars at that time was JoAnn Carner. I was watching her on a par five hole of over 500 yards and was surprised when she hit a drive of 280 yards and made the green in two, dropping a ten foot putt for an eagle. I was playing a lot of golf at the time and my best drives were around 250 yards, so I was impressed that a 5'-7" woman could hit the ball as far as JoAnn Carner.

Several very attractive young rookies were in that tournament and I have enjoyed watching LPGA events on TV since that time. I am convinced that the average male golfer can learn more from watching the lady pros than the men, whose game is well beyond what most of us can ever achieve.

Comment

Working...
                    X