Scottish Humor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Humor

I was in the pub the other night and heard three girls with an overabundance of flesh, talking at the bar.
    Their accent sounded to me like Scottish, so I approached and asked, "Hello, are you three lassies from Scotland?"
    One of them screeched, "It's WALES, you bloody idiot!"
    So I apologized and replied, "I am so sorry. Are you three whales from Scotland?"
    And...that's the last thing I remember....

Re: Scottish Humor

I've heard that one before Lizzie but it is funny :laugh2:

It becomes annoying when people don't understand accents. It beats me how anyone can confuse the Irish & Scottish accents but maybe some folks just don't have the ear for it.

I was at a social function here in our village one day when this man asked me which part of England I was from. Wrong question to ask a Scotswoman :angry: He was Australian so, I asked him which part of New Zealand he was from. He replied, "I'm not from New Zealand" and I replied , "And I'm not from England". :laugh2: He had the grace to apologise.

I'm very good with accents but I NEVER assume which country the person is from. I always ask "Whereabouts are you from originally?"

Another time, years ago, I was at a dinner function and was seated next to this stranger who was chatting away with the person on the other side of him and those across the table. I hadn't said anything at this stage but just listened. Then someone asked him where he was from and he said he was Scottish. I nearly choked on my drink because I knew straight away that he wasn't and I'd listened long enough to place him as a Canadian. He was absolutely astonished when I said, "No you're not. You're Canadian." ROFL. God knows how many times he got away with that trick before he came across me :laugh2:

Elda

Comment

Re: Scottish Humor

Originally posted by Glesgalass View Post
      I've heard that one before Lizzie but it is funny :laugh2:

It becomes annoying when people don't understand accents. It beats me how anyone can confuse the Irish & Scottish accents but maybe some folks just don't have the ear for it.

I was at a social function here in our village one day when this man asked me which part of England I was from. Wrong question to ask a Scotswoman :angry: He was Australian so, I asked him which part of New Zealand he was from. He replied, "I'm not from New Zealand" and I replied , "And I'm not from England". :laugh2: He had the grace to apologise.

I'm very good with accents but I NEVER assume which country the person is from. I always ask "Whereabouts are you from originally?"

Another time, years ago, I was at a dinner function and was seated next to this stranger who was chatting away with the person on the other side of him and those across the table. I hadn't said anything at this stage but just listened. Then someone asked him where he was from and he said he was Scottish. I nearly choked on my drink because I knew straight away that he wasn't and I'd listened long enough to place him as a Canadian. He was absolutely astonished when I said, "No you're not. You're Canadian." ROFL. God knows how many times he got away with that trick before he came across me :laugh2:

Elda
      Hello Elda:

To a degree, I have retained my Scottish accent. I find it quite interesting how many American born compliment me on the accent - they love it!!!

Comment

Working...
      X