Canada Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada Day

Since coming to Canada I've always been struck how Canadians really enjoy the 1st of July holiday. There is certainly a real feeling of us all getting together as a Nation and all ethnic groups get involved.

I'm not aware of any such event in Scotland and can't help but wonder if they should not do something similar.

Alastair

Re: Canada Day

It's the same in Australia with Australia Day on 26th January. However, I must say that when I first came here, 40 years ago, Australia Day was not celebrated as it is now. You are right, Alastair, in that I can't think of a national day celebrated in Scotland. St. Andrews Day seems to be virtually ignored.

Elda

Comment

With the huge publicity that is being given to Canada this Canada Day with Will and Kate it must be a huge benefit for Canadian tourism. I also noted a big party in London with the Canadians taking over Trafalgar Square. You'd think it would be a benefit to Scotland to have at least one day being called Scotland Day. Mind you probably better picking a day in the Summer!

Alastair

Comment

Hello,
        I stumbled across this thread while browsing and felt inclined to comment. I'm a Canadian living in Scotland and I must say I agree with your conversation. The Scots are a very proud people and I've never understood why you don't have a united day of celebration. Perhaps the government should declare a national holiday? I've lived in Canada, Australia, and been to the US for July 4th. There is such a great feeling of unity and celebration. These are holidays that omit no one and everyone of any age, gender, or race can enjoy. It's like hogmanay, but with early doors and less drink.

Comment

Maybe some thought should be put into doing more with Tartan Day..Scottish communities here in Australia celebrate the day by wearing a piece of Tartan but that is about as far as it goes.
          There is also Rabbie Burns day...this seems to be less celebrated now-a-days at least in Aust. I recall my dad going to a burns night in Scotland, and i pleaded to go along, but was told i wouldn't like it because all they ate was burnt tatties.....
          Euan..

Comment

Actually I think a Scotland Day would be good and it should be sometime in June just before the main tourist season gets off the ground. It should really be for Scots in Scotland and not yet another attempt to attract tourists. Of course if other folk want to come over and join us they'd be more than welcome but it should still be for Scots at home.

Alastair

Comment

Canada Day was originally called Dominion Day and commerated July 1, 1867 as the first day of Canada's existence as a country independent of the English Parliament. Actually, we weren't completely independent until April 1982 but Dominion Day did mark our first day as a nation. Given that Scotland has a much longer national history, it might be an interesting process to select which event most deserved annual celebration as Scotland Day. It seems that in my corner of the world (western Canada) Burns Night and Tartan Day, which now has national statutory recognition, are becoming more important to the Scots descendants, but Canada Day is a day for all Canadians to celebrate nationhood collectively. Finding a day that appeals to all Scots in Scotland might be a challenge but I'd still take off my hat and take a dram or two to honour the day from afar.

Comment

Working...
              X