Just reading over Glesgalass' response it put me in mind of my family's experience after immigrating to the US. They immigrated in 1790 to North/South Carolina right on the border and then some 30 years later a large number went to Mississippi. The family story is that 3 of the brothers that immigrated had attened the University of Edinburgh prior to immigrating. Additionally, there is a family story that the boys from the first generation went back to Scotland to attend university. I have not been able to verify this, however; one of those boys became a medical doctor and I've seen letters written by my ggg grandfather and his brother Duncan circa 1858 (telling my ggg uncle to get his butt in gear and study at the University of Mississippi). They both had an extraordinary hands (writing) and their thoughts and meanings both subtle and powerful. These were well educated men in the backwoods of Mississippi.

In my gg grandfather's generation, the children from our extended family were sent to two old maid aunts that lived in the county from the time they were 5 years old. I'm not clear on when the ending point was, but between 12 and 16 years old I believe. At that point, they had to give back. Meaning they would teach school to the younger ones until they were old enough to go to college. My gg grandfather, before the War Between the States, was a school teacher on a plantation. This set up for education continued after the war too, right up to the 20th century. My g grandfather became a minister and an educator becoming President of a small college in Mississippi. His brother became superintendent of schools for Phoenix and another system up in Washington state.

Another interesting fact I noticed is how tightly the Scots stayed together after immigration. In our family, my grandfather was the first in my paternal line going back 220 years not to marry a woman of Scots origin. (In order Colquhoun, McInnis, Wilson, Shepard). While I'm sure the culture evolved after immigration, at least there was a common starting point for everyone and maybe even common goals.