Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread on the TV News programs.

I just feel that the news programs do not cover much of the news that is out there. Donna touched on this in her recent post about the Gulf Oil Spill.

I watch TV news quite a bit as I have a wee 13" TV that sits beside my computer. I like to watch CNN, CTV and BBC but am starting to watch CBC as well.

I find that CNN is really only about American news unless there is some huge event in another part of the world like the Indian terrorist attack or the Haiti earthquake. I often wonder why they do not carry more news from around the world.

On CTV we get mostly Canadian news but they will have snippets from around the world.

The BBC I feel does the best job of giving us news about the rest of the world.

I am only now finding that CBC is giving more news coverage for perhaps a smaller amount of news items but more in depth.

What I don't like about CNN is that they make their news broadcasters into stars whereas the news should be the star.

I also feel that a lot of news broadcasters always want to ask the awkward questions to try and trip up politicians. Over the years the politicians have learned how to not answer questions. They know that what they say can be brought back many years later and used to embarrass them. To me all that this does is to ensure we don't get the answers we really want.

I would go so far as to say that I think the news organisations with their aggressive attitude have turned people away from politics. A lot of people that could make great politicians don't see the point about letting themselves in for all that hassle and you sure don't get ugly politicians these days.

I am also rather fed up with the sheer volume of adverts being shown. I was fortunate to have spent most of my life in the UK where we had to pay a licence fee to watch television. The benefit from that, which I'm only now seeing, is that we could watch all the BBC programs advert free.

Perhaps it's time that a TV news organisation offers an advert free option for an annual fee. It would be a case of what they would charge against what audience they might get but I'd be willing to pay something decent for advert free news and that way perhaps we'd get better news.

Alastair

Re: Media

Alastair,
    In Australia we don't pay an annual fee yet our ABC is advert free. Funded by the Federal Government. I agree that BBC World News is the absolute best coverage you can get. I have to admit that I don't mind adverts though as it gives you time to go to the loo or make a cup of tea :-)

Comment

Didn't know that. I guess over here in North America they seem to be way too many adverts. With CNN you can get adverts and then back to the news and then just 1 minute later go back to more adverts and then back where you might get 5 minutes before more adverts.

Comment

Generally i read the news on the net...Apart from our ABC that Elda mentioned, the commercial networks in my view don't have news. Their excuse for the six o'clock 30 min news bulletin is 10 mins of local news then sensational tripe, followed by 5 mins of weather.
        Following the "news", we get 30 mins of mind numbing "current affairs"..which is generally stories of neighborhood disputes,suckers being ripped of by con-artists, and can't fail weight-loss programs...it's enough to send a tea-totaller to drink...:unsure:
        Euan..

Comment

I read the New York Times and watch ABC News on TV<<--has very few adverts.
          Marie

Comment

Media is influenced by politics. I have a friend who is a died in the wool (wonder what that expression means and from where did it come:) anyway, a died in the wool democrat. She gets all steamed up about Fox news. My brother loves to switch back and forth between the different news stations to get both democrat and republican views.

I learned, early on, when I was a girl in my short time with the news that everything reported may have shades of gray as far as truth is concerned. There was a story once, too, about something of interest and I wanted to know more. When I attempted to pin
            the station down on the validity and root of the story, there was nothing, absolutely nothing they could (or would) give me. Dead silence on their end. To me this is sure fire sensationalism.
            Donna

Comment

Working...
            X