Connecticut School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecticut School Shooting

Terrible tragedy there. Understand at least 27 people killed of which some 18 are children. I fail to understand how schools can let people with such rifles into a school.

Alastair

Re: Connecticut School Shooting

Yes, Alistair. What a tragedy! Merry Christmas indeed for all those parents. I have often said there can be nothing worse than for loving parents to see a offspring depart this life before them.

Our local schools are in lock-down after the students arrive in the morning. As an author/illustrator I have given several presentations on how a book is produced to kindergarten and first grade in a local elementary. When I arrived at the front door I had to identify myself and then was buzzed in. Not only that, it would appear our county (including police etc.) has taken advantage of federal funds to equip with a multitude of surveillance cameras. Rather sad reflection on society that produces so many nuts. But, it would behoove school districts to follow suit on a national level.

Comment

I got the news of this while I was in Cheyenne today. It took the 'wind out of my sails.' I don't think that there is any response that adequately expresses the magnitude and mindlessness of this tragedy.

Comment

I've been watching the news throughout the day and I have to say I am a bit of a new junkie so do watch various channels including US, Canadian and the BBC. However that said, all I am seeing is the news on the shooting and nothing else at all. It should get top billing but its getting the only billing.

I just think this is too much concentration on one event to the exclusion of everything else. Like I'm by no means saying that this event is not horrific and that I don't have considerable sympathy for the children, teachers, parents and people in the community. But to put this into some kind of perspective we have wee children being killed every day in Syria. Wee children are being killed in Africa. There is so much wrong in the world. I just feel to focus on one event to the exclusion of everything else is not healthy.

Alastair

Comment

I think it's shocking that any school should need a security system. It's unheard of here in Australia except of course to prevent burglary when the schools are shut.

Elda

Comment

Hi Elda:

Well, if the politicians in this country had long past enacted the sweeping gun control laws Australia passed after the mass murder in 1996, we would not be wringing our hands at the many horrors perpetrated in this society. But, US politicians are beholden to the gun lobby and the injection of big money into their reelection campaigns. We can only hope this tragedy will at least ban military assault weapons and large capacity magazines from domestic use.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie View Post
              Hi Elda:

Well, if the politicians in this country had long past enacted the sweeping gun control laws Australia passed after the mass murder in 1996, we would not be wringing our hands at the many horrors perpetrated in this society. But, US politicians are beholden to the gun lobby and the injection of big money into their reelection campaigns. We can only hope this tragedy will at least ban military assault weapons and large capacity magazines from domestic use.
              I totally agree Lizzie. When your Constitution was enacted they only had pop guns and couldn't possibly have envisaged the type of military guns available in the future. Why would any civilian need a repeating gun of any kind? Certainly not for hunting. What kind of sport would that be?

Elda

Comment

Hey,
                I couldn't agree more with everything that was posted, especially what Lizzie and Elda said. I have heard the dramatic drop in this type of horrible act in Australia after they changed the gun laws and started the buy-back system. Just since this awful tragedy, there have been 2-3 more instances of planned killings with guns. Connecticut is one of the toughest gun control states and look what good it did. It is the same old argument from the gun supporters like, it is not a gun that kills but people that kill people. Second amendment right to bear arms, I need a semi-automatic to hunt with, blah blah blah. Ya know my husband and I were talking and we never ever thought about a school gun man, never ever heard of it happening at all when we were in school. We never worried about it. That is how I want my grand daughter to feel when she starts school, but it isn't going to be that way again. One crazy idea would be to help with mental illness issues even if the parents can't afford it for their child. Or for anyone who needs help. Oh wait, am I agreeing with the dreaded "Obamacare"???? I mean how ridiculous is it to make sure everyone has the ability to get health care. Don't know what I am thinking. Ok, got that off my chest, sorry if I rambled.

Comment

You're so right Diane. It's America's shame that her citizens can't access the health care that other western countries have. It's not a perfect scheme here in Australia but it's better than nothing or having to rely on charity. And it's not free. We pay for it via our taxes and a levy.
                  I believe the best part of our health care system is the one we stole from the UK. Everyone gets subsidised medications regardless of their cost. Working people pay around $30 per item co-pay and pensioners along with disability pensioners pay around $5.40.
                  That alone goes a long way to ensuring that people get needed treatment.
                  Because of this it means that private health care costs a lot less here because the health care companies don't have to cover the cost of medications.
                  I have private hospital only cover which only costs me about $60 per month. Granted it's cheaper because I've been in it for many years and I really only keep it up because I'd be crazy to cancel it when it's so cheap.

Elda

Comment

Working...
                  X