Speed Increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Increase

Well as you know we got our site all fixed up now and out of it we discovered that we were marked as a Residential account by Comcast and they were holding to 16/2 on our bandwidth. Today we are now flagged as a Business account and have just received the upgrade to 50/10 and have to say I'm very impressed with the speed increase.

When selecting the Community I got straight in and then when selecting New Posts they came up almost right away instead of taking ages to come up. Hope you also see the difference.

Alastair

Re: Speed Increase

I did notice that the pages came up a lot faster! Thanks for letting us know. I attempted to play one of the games. It went so fast, I had problems keeping up with the thinking that's supposed to go along with it! Hah!

Joan
    Last edited by FriedaKateM; 9 July 2014, 20:36. Reason: addendum

Comment

Everything is now happening pretty well instantaneously here too - thanks Alastair for all your hard work.
      On the down side, the computer is now thrashing me every time at chess...

Comment

Great stuff, many thanks to Alastair and Steve.

Comment

Yes, fast speed here as well, thanks to all for the hard work.

Ranald

Comment

What a difference...makes ES more enjoyable.
            Euan..

Comment

Yep,here too.
              Sandy

Comment

I certainly agree that it does make ES more enjoyable!

Alastair

Comment

Just got a phone call from Steve to tell me Comcast have in fact increased us to 27/7 as they were unable to give us the full 50/10 as the head end configuration needs a hardware upgrade to give us that. They are working on that but don't have a time scale currently. We were also told that one the head end was upgrade then we could increase still further to 100/50!!!

At that point we can do streaming which will allow reading of books to be almost instant instead of taking a lot of time to load. Also we'll be able to do stuff on video. So hopefully good times coming.

We are due to get a conference call from Exoic to figure out and resolve the issues we had and once resolved I am hoping the general display of our web site on all displays will be much improved. All of this should mean more visitors and more regular visits which is great in itself but for me it should also mean increased advertising revenue which I could really do with right now. As it is we actually make a small loss each month which I personally subsidise through my early pension.

So more speed increases to come! And I wonder if this might resolve the saving scores issue we've been having in the Arcade?

Alastair

Comment

Hi Alastair, thank you, Steve and others, for all the work so far.

That is some speed which you may have in the future.

Regards

Ranald

Comment

I haven't noticed any difference.

Elda

Comment

It's possible you won't Elda. It does depend on where you are on the Internet and the speed of your own Internet connection. I liken it to being in a restaurant where if they seat you at the far end it takes a lot longer to get to you as they have to go further and wind themselves around more tables to reach you. In more technical terms you can do a tracert or trace route do find out how many hops you need to take to get to us. Mind that the Internet is a great collection of computers so doing a trace like this (you can Google this to find one you can use or type - tracert electricscotland.com - at the command promppt) will tell you how many computers you've had to go through to get to us.

So that's one factor and the other is the amount of the bandwidth your ISP gives you. So we might deliver the page at 20Mb rate but if the pipe as it were getting to you can only accept it at 2Mb rate then it will be slower. So in some ways your own connection speeds will a limiting factor depending on how fast it is.

Alastair

Comment

Just a quick answer. It does seem as though that those games on Arcade, that weren't saving the score....are doing so now. Although haven't had enough time to go through most of them!!

Thanks, Joan

Comment

That's certainly encouraging news Joan. Mostly it was time out errors we were getting so I'd hoped the speed increase might make a difference.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                            X