Virtual Communities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Communities

I was wondering if anyone could help us create a few communities. Let me tell you what I have in mind.

It just seems to me that we could take a real community and turn it into a virtual one through all the facilities that the web offers us.

For example I did try to get one going with the Gairloch and Loch Maree area of Scotland but it's obvious that this didn't happen. What I tried to do was to profile the area through using old history books of the area. I then managed to get some pictures of the area. You can see this base page at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/gairloch

What I then wanted to do was to get the locals involved and to that end I created a forum for them in here. I hoped that they might take hundreds of pictures of the area on different subjects. Like someone might be interested in flowers so could have taken pictures of every flower in the area and send them in. Should they like hill walking they could take lots of pictures of one walk telling us what we were seeing on the way.

I also hoped some of the locals would talk about their own families and tell us what they did for a living and businesses could profile themselves.

To me it just sounded like a lot of fun but also useful for the community.

And so it seems clear to me that we need foot soldiers on the ground to make any of this happen and so just wondered if anyone in here might find this project to be of interest?

I would of course like the project to have a Scottish twist to it and that means it could be done anywhere in the world where there are Scottish roots.

So do get in touch if you think you could help to get such a project on the go.

Alastair

Re: Virtual Communities

I could send you the history of the Shively DAR monuments marking the El Camino Real Trail or the Kings Highway from Old Mexico across Texas to LA....Or I could write how Jacik Hays became a Texas Ranger and that our county of Hays was named for him...or I could tell how Texas served 6 nations.....Or I could not...
    Last edited by LuRose Williams; 28 August 2010, 22:33. Reason: word omitted

Comment

Mama,

It is so good to see you back on! Gosh, I missed ya. With you and Suge being so close to Austin, a virtual community of the old 300 could be started by you two? Just an idea?
      kellyd:redrose:

Comment

That is a good idea....also I can post the website of the Hays County Historical Commission...I am glad I am back.

Comment

I can't remember his name but I talked once to the author of the 300 where he had claimed that Scots made up at least half of that number. He was going to let me publish this on the site but the Publisher stepped in and prevented it.

Anything we do on community should have a Scottish element to it but we need people to bring it all alive as history on its own is fine but descendants add so much more.

Alastair

Comment

It is a shame about the Old 300 book. I believe it was more like 80% were Scottish. I remember a John Kerr, who was a direct of my four oldest children. I believe some of the cousins from the WV families of Scots went to serve for Texas. I do know Sam Houston was married to Margaret Ochiltree who would have been a sister to our great....grandpa Isaac. She died before Sam went to Texas. I hate not having my library!!!
            kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Working...
            X