Our New Zealand Cousins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our New Zealand Cousins

I said when I completed the book "Our Ain Ones" I would also do the three other books from the same author where he tells us of his travels and adventures in New Zealand, Australia and India. So this is the first of those being "Our New Zealand Cousins". Here is what the Preface has to say...

The first Chapter of this book explains the circumstances under which I undertook the work, and renders a long preface unnecessary.

Being originally written for the Sydney Press, my descriptions, penned as we journeyed, have all the drawbacks incident to hasty composition ; but I have had so many, and so gratifying requests, to have the letters published in book form, by friends, whose good opinion is dear to me, that I feel it would be prudish to refuse. Frankly confessing my shortcomings therefore, I throw myself once more on the merciful consideration of my critics.

Allusions and comparisons, will be found scattered at intervals through the book, which are more peculiarly applicable to Australians, than to the wider circle of readers at home ; but as, I believe, such references may be found to incidentally illus-rate phases of Colonial life, and circumstance, I have deemed it on the whole better to retain them.

Mindful of former criticism, I have honestly tried to "prune my style," and curb my natural exuberance of expression ; but alas ! I am conscious that I have yet much to learn, and that there is great room for improvement in these and other respects.

However, if the reader will accept my pages, as a homely unpretending record of a very delightful trip, through "The Wonderland of the South Pacific," I hope my comments on what we witnessed, and my revelation of the change and progress, effected by twenty years of colonization, may prove both interesting and instructive.

I have tried to describe simply and truthfully what I saw, and what I thought. My most earnest hope is, that what I have written may enkindle in the hearts of our kinsmen in the dear old mother land, who may read this book, a livelier, deeper, and kindlier interest in the fortunes of their loyal and loving Cousins, of Australia and New Zealand.

J.l.
    Craigo, Strathfield, Sydney, N.S.W.
    May, 1886.

And I now have the first chapter up which can be viewed at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/nzcousins

Alastair

Re: Our New Zealand Cousins

Alastair,
    The link above would not work for me, :confused: I searched through the 'book listings section' and came up with this one which does the job :cool:

http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...sins/index.htm
    Gordon.:angelic:
    Last edited by 1938 Observer; 20 June 2011, 23:40. Reason: spelling

Comment

Spelling mistake in the url I'm afraid but fixed it now you've pointed it out :-)

Alastair

Comment

Having an interest in railways, large and small, I noted in the current 'What's New' - 'Our New Zealand Cousins' a reference to a spectacular viaduct in New Zealand.

The following link, has not only a photo of the viaduct (which is attached here), but also other historical links of New Zealand.

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/media/ph...ailway-viaduct

Ranald
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Ranald; 1 July 2011, 16:00. Reason: added words

Comment

Great picture Ranald... thanks!

Alastair

Comment

In Canada we would call this a trestle.

Cheers,