The Book of the Farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Book of the Farm

I was watching some TV the other day and found a series called "The Victorian Farm". It's about the team finding an old Victorian Farm where most of the old implements were still there. So the series follows three historians as they spend a year working on the farm just the way the old Victorian farmers would have lived.

In the first part they mentioned that they based a lot of the series on "The Book of the Farm" as it was the best account of how to run a farm in these old times. They also mentioned that at this period there was a revolution going on in farming where new technology was being used.

I enjoy exploring ways that our ancestors lived in there old days so searched for and found the book. And so I have actually make two copies of it available. The first edition from from 1852 in three volumes and the fourth edition from 1889 in six volumes. The period between the two publications saw a huge change in the method of farming so both editions are well worth reading.

In the first part of the series they mention that while farm life is covered hardly any mention was made of the role of the farmers wife who would have made the meals and likely looked after the chickens and perhaps even milked the cow. They did however refer to a book which they thought most farmers wives would have used for recipes. I have thus also found a copy of this book and included it on the page. The book is...

MODERN COOKERY IN ALL ITS BEANCHES:
    EMBRACING A SERIES OF PLAIN AND SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS TO PRIVATE FAMILIES AND OTHERS, FOR THE CAREFUL AND JUDICIOUS PREPARATION OF EVERY VARIETY OF FOOD AS DRAWN FROM PRACTICAL OBSERVATION AND EXPERIENCE. BY MISS ELIZA ACTON,
    WITH DIRECTIONS FOR SETTING OUT AND ORNAMENTING THE TABLE, CARVING, RELATIVE DUTIES OF MISTRESS AND MAID, Etc., Etc. (1860)

Again in the first part of the series the farmer's wife is shown preserving fruit, pickling, and also showing how the cooking range was restored and used. We also get to see the early use of farm machinery and some old method of creating cider.

And so if you can find this TV series to watch I'd highly recommend it. The books I found are made available as pdf files and can be found at http://www.electricscotland.com/agriculture/farm.htm

Alastair

Re: The Book of the Farm

Hi Alastair. I thought I might even d/l these 'old' books, well...... that was before I saw the publication dates.

The one by John Skinner was published in 1852, which I thought was acceptable to me, until I realised that it was only 78 years, before my first holiday on a farm.

I was shattered to find the the 'Revised edition', had a publication date of 1889, which was ONLY 41 years before my first farm holiday !!!

All joking apart, many thanks for making these books, now available to us young ones. (grin)

Not sure if the following link is of any use for you. I does not appear to let one view the series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00p71fz/episodes/guide

I will keep trying and let you know if I have any success.

For what it is worth, the series is available on DVD, at a price!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00grv47/products

Thank you again.

Ranald
    Last edited by Ranald; 21 May 2012, 16:34. Reason: added link

Comment

Actually Ranald it isn't really that long ago when there were no phones, no TV, no Internet, No motor cars, no electricity, no freezers and fridges, etc. And yet today we simply can't imagine being without them. We also used to have one holiday a year and apparently Canada has the lowest number of public holidays there being only 7 of them but some countries have 20 or more and that's on top of the annual three, four or five weeks holidays we all get.

There didn't used to be a National Health Service or Social Security. Frankly today we're spoiled rotten.

Alastair

Comment

Hey Alastair/Ranald,
        I was going to be cheeky and suggest that some of our esteemed lady members may have nearly been around when that cookery book was written, but I decided that would be too disruptive [sort of throwing the cat amongst the pigeons] so I decided to abstain from "Stirring the Pot" :tongue:

Gordon.

Comment

Hi Gordon, I rather think it would have been more like 'throwing the pigeon amongst the cats'......

Ranald....... and running fast lol

Comment

Working...
          X