Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legerwood Memorial Trees-WW1 Memorial Avenue in Tasmania.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legerwood Memorial Trees-WW1 Memorial Avenue in Tasmania.

This is a most unusual memorial site and is worth looking at.

DORSET
    [Tasmania]

Legerwood Memorial Trees.

ON 15th October 1918 a ceremony was held in the railway reserve at Ringarooma Road (Renamed Legerwood in Dec.1918). 9 trees were planted to honour soldiers killed in World War 1
    As the names of the fallen were called out , a relative or near relative came forward to hold the tree until it was planted.
    Douglas Fir –Alan Andrews,
    Giant Sequoia– Thomas Edwards,
    Deodar—William Hyde,
    Giant Sequoia-Robert Jenkins,
    Deodar– John McDougall,
    Douglas Fir-George Peddle ,
    Deodar-John Riseley ,
    and a Weymouth Pine at each end of the avenue for Gallipoli and the Anzacs.

In 2001 a report on the condition of the trees showed that they were no longer safe and the community were devastated that their memorials would be lost.

In 2004 it was suggested that the stumps be carved into a likeness of each soldier. Eddie Freeman a chainsaw carver , from Ross, was employed by the Legerwood Hall and Reserves Committee to sculpt the masterpieces you see today.

to view all the photographs and read the full story just go to the link. http://www.dorsetonline.org.au/trees.htm

To see a larger photograph of the bugler go here- http://www.candm.com.au/sites/defaul...ie_freeman.jpg

Re: Legerwood Memorial Trees-WW1 Memorial Avenue in Tasmania.

I've been there and seen the carvings. They are amazing. I couldn't believe they'd been done by a chainsaw. It was pouring with rain the day I was there on a bus trip. We were told that the trees roots were lifting the road and they had to go.

Elda

Comment

Working...
    X