Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The History of British Military Conflicts since 1945

The History of British Military Conflicts since 1945

This is an excellent website and gives a comprehensive background to many "Forgotten & Unheralded" British conflicts.........

Dedicated to the Men and Women who served in Forgotten conflicts

India, Palestine, Malaya, Korea, Suez Canal Zone, Kenya, Cyprus, Suez 1956, Borneo, Vietnam, Aden, Radfan, Oman, Dhofar, Northern Ireland, the Falklands War, the Gulf War, Bosnia, Kosovo, Sierra Leone, Iraq and many more.

A great deal of effort has gone into this chronicle..........well worthy of attention.

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/

Re: The History of British Military Conflicts since 1945

Yet another great link, for which my thanks........ do you ever have time to sleep ? lol

Ranald

Comment

Anyone else serve in Malaya (Johore, Changi) 1958? Aden (Ataq Beihan Dhala and Radfan)? Borneo (Sibu, Bangkit, Song, Nanga Gaat, Long Jawi?) Ulster (Springfield Road, Ballymurphy, Andersonstown)?

Comment

No... but I remember when at Dollar Academy I joined the RAF cadets. One Sunday we were up at Dundee learning to fly chipmunks and I was fortunate or unfortunate to get a RAF fighter pilot who was on leave from Aden taking me up for my first flight! A stomach churning experience that was!

I think Ranald served in Signapore during WWII as an aircraft technician.

Alastair

Comment

In 1944 I volunteered for the RAF and was accepted for air crew. However, even having been sworn in I received a letter from Sir Archibald Sinclair, saying the they had too many air crew and I was being transferred to the army !!

I joined up on 17 August 1944 an Norwich.

I think that it was 1946 that I was in Malaya/Singapore as REME craftsman.

I was there at the start of the 'troubles', but was assigned to the Buffs as REME attached, and we then went to Hong Kong.

I was finally demobed in December 1948/9 (not now sure which year)

As far as I was concerned the forces gave me a wonderful tour on England, India, Malaya and Hong Kong far better than 'Cooks' could ever match.

Ranald

Comment

Originally posted by michaelhamilton View Post
            Anyone else serve in Malaya (Johore, Changi) 1958? Aden (Ataq Beihan Dhala and Radfan)? Borneo (Sibu, Bangkit, Song, Nanga Gaat, Long Jawi?) Ulster (Springfield Road, Ballymurphy, Andersonstown)?
            Michael,

I have started a new Military topic "Fight 4 the PJM" ..(Pingat Jasa Malaysia) if you go to that site you will find quite a few.if you join the forum there you will be able to access the (Off topic Forum) another Military site is "ModOracle http://www.modoracle.com/forum/ If you scroll down the front page you will find a section where there are topics on various areas served, the Malaya/Borneo section has much good reading.......you may even find an old mate there. Good Hunting

Gordon

Comment

Here is a good read on the conflict in Kenya.......It is too long to paste in here so just the header and link will go in and anyone interested may read it at their leisure.
              ------------------------------------------------------------

Emergency In Kenya: Kikuyu And The
              Mau Mau Insurrection
              CSC 1984
              SUBJECT AREA Strategic Issues

Table of Contents
              Abstract ii
              Introduction 1
              Historical and Cultural Background 6
              The Religious Nationalists 42
              Emergence of Mau Mau 46
              Mau Mau Religion 57
              Events Building to the Emergency 63
              Operation Jock Scott 74
              Jock Scott Aftermath 76
              Security Forces 78
              Command and Control Reorganization 82
              Enemy Situation 86
              Mau Mau Terrorism 88 Mau Mau Terrorism 88
              Large Scale Mau Mau Operations 90
              A New War, A New Choice 94
              A New Command and An Offensive Strategy 97
              Surrender Nepotiations-Operation Wedgewood 101
              Operation Anvil 103
              The FinalThrusts 106
              Conclusion 110
              Footnotes 113
              Bibliography 126

ABSTRACT
              Author: HUGHES, Roger D., Major, U.S. Marine Corps
              Title: Emergency in Kenya: Kikuyu and the Mau Mau Insurrection
              Publisher: Marine Corps Command and Staff College
              Date: 2 April 1984

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...t/1984/HRD.htm

Comment

Mau Mau in Kenya

Mau Mau Uprising - Kenya

www.throughmyeyes.org.uk. Opposition against British colonial rule in Kenya culminated in the Mau Mau uprising, which began in 1952. The political changes that took place after independence in 1963 had important consequences for Asians living there.

Film clips taken from Mau Mau, showing Kenya during the Mau Mau uprising, made circa 1954. The British commentary encapsulates colonial attitudes of the time.

This clip is taken from the Imperial War Museum's new online exhibition - 'Through My Eyes: Stories of conflict, belonging and identity.' The site can be accessed on www.throughmyeyes.org.uk. Read this and other stories in full (Film copyright of IWM Ref: MGH_4805, all rights reserved).

The Mau Mau revolution Kenya video 2

Comment

Working...
                X